• Athena
    If I get a $600 check from the government my New Year resolution will be taking care of my remains. I am an organ donor but what is left over still is my responsibility to dispose of properly. I have procrastinated doing anything about this until finally, the pressure of procrastination is weighing heavily on me and hey, the extra money I need is coming from the government. That doesn't happen too often.

I might be able to keep this New Year resolution better than a promise to loose weight or read more. A New Years' resolution that is spread over several months seems to loose its energy soon after the New Year.

What is your New Year resolution or what do you think of making a New Year Resolution?
  • Jack Cummins

I made resolutions a few times and ended up breaking them in a few days.I made one last year and broke it within about a week, but I do feel that I made some progress in a couple of areas of life. I think this year as we enter the new year I see it as more of a time to reflect on general areas for improvement. But rather than one specific resolution I just wish to achieve focused improvements in a few areas, including keeping my room as tidy as possible.

Happy New Year,
    Jack
  • Jack Cummins

My goal of keeping my room tidy might seem a pretty one, but I do have some grander hopes too. But sometimes the basics like keeping a room tidy, which I find difficult, are important because when my room gets really chaotic I find it affects other aspects of life too. With New Year, I see it as getting back to the basics, in order reach the heights as well.
  • Athena
    When I do workshops for healthy living, we have people make action plans. An action plan has to state what a person will do, when (what days and time of day), and how much (15 minutes, or 15 reps, or 15 laps, or 15 pounds)? We strongly suggest doing the planned activity no more than 3 days a week. So if you were to tidy your room, which days would do that and what time of the day? How much time would you spend on it? If you made a more precise plan it could become a habit. Such as making the bed when we first get up or brushing our teeth can be habits.

But honestly, I have never developed up the habit of being well organized, but I have made progress and that makes life so much easier. However, the piles of books I use for reference scream I might do better if I set a day for putting them away. My desk area gets totally out of control as I starting stacking books on top of books until can't find a book because I have such a mess. :roll:
  • Jack Cummins

In my current room I try to tidy up for about half an hour a day. The problem when I was working I only tidied up for about half an hour a week.

Healthy living is important. I try to work on it and one of the people I am living runs healthy living workshops and says I eat too much fast food. I try to pay attention to avoiding bad ingredients, such as too much sugar and fat in food, but I don't wish to spend too much time in the kitchen because there is reading and writing to be done.
    But yes maybe 3 times a week for this is a good idea.
  • praxis
    We strongly suggest doing the planned activity no more than 3 days a week.Athena

Thinking it through this morning I came to the same plan, or rather rate, of action. I've resolved to practice stoicism this year and the program that I've adopted calls for daily journaling. Seriously doubt that I could keep that up so have decided that a few entries a week for the weekly practices would be doable.

Good luck with your remains care, Athena.

Best of luck with the tidying up, Jack.
  • 180 Proof
    What is your New Year resolution or what do you think of making a New Year Resolution?Athena
    Memento mori, memento vivere ...
    Solitaire et solidaire.

:death: :flower:
  • Caldwell
    What is your New Year resolution or what do you think of making a New Year Resolution?Athena

To be more organized -- I am already -- but I'd like to not have anything go beyond the deadline. I'm trying to get my place as empty as possible. Also to cook healthier food.
    I think NY resolution is great! I've been doing it -- even before NY comes, lol -- and I have been blessed to be able to accomplish the little things I'd decided to do.
  • Caldwell
    Pax et Bonum
  • 180 Proof
    ☆Happy 2021☆

I'm trying to get my place as empty as possible.Caldwell
    Oh yeah, same here. :sweat:
  • Pfhorrest
    About a decade ago I resolved to focus on continuous resolve rather than saving it all up for one big high-pressure event at the start of each year. It's been working well for me so far (if by "working well" we mean I'm actually making material improvements in my life; if by "working well" we mean leading an easygoing carefree life, definitely not).
  • Athena
    :lol: I think only a philosophical person would consider all the different ways to look at something. I mean this as a compliment.
  • Athena
    ☆Happy 2021☆

I'm trying to get my place as empty as possible.
    — Caldwell
    Oh yeah, same here. :sweat:
    180 Proof

Alright, alright, I will organize at least one area of my apartment today. I have to admit it is pleasant when things are organized. I might begin with filling a box of stuff I can get rid of. You know all those CD's I never listen to, the catalogs I keep, thinking I will order something, stuff for children that they have outgrown.
  • Athena

Journalling is a great practice. I find the thinking process very different when writing. When I was going through a hard time, I wrote a lot and it was the most helpful thing I could have done.
  • Caldwell
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!

Oh yeah, same here. :sweat:180 Proof

Awesome! Way to go, Proof!

the catalogs I keep, thinking I will order somethingAthena

:grin:
  • Athena
    Hi, has anyone made progress on a New Year's resolution?

I have organized most of my apartment, and now areas that I thought were okay now look like they need improvement. I tried to hire a professional but my friend doesn't want to share her and won't give me her phone number. That is so mean. :lol: She showed me her closest that the professional organized and they are beautiful! Oh well, life is hard. :grimace: I guess I will just have to keep working on my apartment by myself. Actually it is kind of nice to look at what I have achieved and know that I did that myself. :grin:

It helps that a couple of you have shared the need to reorganize. It is kind of like we are doing this together and that makes it more phone. :heart: :flower:

PS with your help I have called the mortuary to arrange for my cremation. It is not the most pleasant thing I have done, and I will be glad when this New Year resolution is done and I don't have to think about it anymore.
  • praxis
    I thought that my stoic journal would be a pain but the first entry last night (program recommends starting a new weekly practice on Sundays) was a breeze because I found while sitting on the couch that I can simply dictate entires on an iPad or iPhone to a cloud document. I hadn’t realized that the iOS dictation software works so well now.
  • Donkey Kong
    Getting a job that actually uses my degree and pays higher than the minimum wage in my country. I'm planning on getting a teaching certification and some health certifications to do that, even though teaching kids was not my first choice for a career at all.

Oh, and not worrying about my failure in terms of getting a non-toxic romantic relationship and simply living life without needing relationships to be happy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.