• Rotorblade
    If we don’t have free will, which I think it’s true, then you could set up a simulation of a world that simulates brains and then let it play for say 1 hour. You record everything then make a playback. The minds in the playback will have real consciousness, isn’t it? I don’t see why not
    Then this world could be just playback. I don’t think it is but such scenario seems possible
    Even we could do it. There are already scientists that work on chips that emulate neurons. You could in principle create a brain and a body in a virtual space then do a simulation then a playback.
    We must however define what we mean by a playback, which normally is based on the recording of some parameters then then these are used to reconstruct some elements that we perceive as similar to what you could observe in the original scenes whereas with the playback of a simulation you need to reproduce everything or at least what is relevant.
    For example you could have something that follows a path on a 2d space and it reads the surrounding points that have some values and it moves where towards the point with the highest value. You record the path and do a playback.
    Another example, you simulate a neural network.
    Some neuron receives say 10inputs and generates a signal making evaluating a function dependent on these inputs. You could record the inputs and the outputs and simply generate the signals. In the first example the artificial brain may generate a conscious state. What about the playback. My impression is whatever you call them these two cases are similar except the second case some information may be missing, but not necessarily.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.