• dan0mac
    Good evening! I'll be the first to admit I am an arm-chair philosopher. I've made my way through some Plato, Kierkegaard, Berkeley... But I would like to know some modern thinkers who you enjoy so that I can look into them. Thanks everyone!
  • Pfhorrest
    Harry Frankfurt.
  • fdrake
    Thomas Metzinger, Hubert Dreyfus. I've been on a David Graeber binge since he died, though he's more of an anthropologist.
  • Pfhorrest
    Graeber is great, but yeah not really philosophy exactly. Very informative for political philosophy, though.
  • TheMadFool
    My favorite philosophers are

1. Pyrrho
    2. Zeno of Elea
    3. Epimenedes
    4. Nagarjuna
    5. Descartes
    6. Hume
    7. Graham Priest
  • Rafaella Leon
    The most general and omnipresent feature of modern philosophy is the confusion between the order of being and the order of knowing. Defining an object by the way we know it is like defining an elephant by the properties of the lens with which we photograph it. The final scheme may be similar, but the material presence of the elephant will always be lacking. In modern times, all tigers are made of paper until the day they eat the philosopher. This error is endemic. It is present in Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, Fichte, Hegel and all of his heirs.
  • 180 Proof
    The typical conflation-confusion, by idealists (e.g. Plato's misplaced concreteness - reification - of "forms" ... or Berkeley's compositional fallacy of "ideas, perceptions" ... etc), of ontology with epistemology — I agree with, for the most part, except for Spinoza (vide Ethics, part one). An example of his "error"?

Some (indispensable yet underapprecated) 'moderns' in my canon:

Peter Wessel Zapffe
    Emil Cioran
    Nelson Goodman
    Clément Rosset
    Philippa Foot
    Albert Murray
    Susan Haack
    David Schweickart
    David Deutsch
    Ray Brassier
  • tim wood
    Mikey - 180 - likes it! - Spinoza. Therefore I shall give it a try. Can you recommend an edition (and title)?
  • 180 Proof
    My top three "Spinoza" recommendations (frankly, not academically fashionable - more philosophical studies than applied uses of / deconstructive polemics for-against, S):

A Spinoza Reader, ed. & trans. by Edwin Curley*
    Spinoza and Spinozism, Stuart Hampshire
    Spinoza and Other Heretics, Vol. 2, Yirmiyahu Yovel

edit:

Also, as a companion to the Reader*, Edwin Curley's excellent interpretative study

Behind The Geometrical Method: A Reading of Spinoza's Ethics
  • SophistiCat
    Curious, why would you want to solicit opinions from a few random people on the Internet? If you want to know who the best known or most influential modern philosophers are, you will do much better with Google.
  • Rafaella Leon
    The best modern philosophers are Louis Lavelle, Leibniz, Eric Voeglin, however, the best one by far, and very underestimated is Mário Ferreira dos Santos, I don't think there is someone better than him in the last centuries.
  • dan0mac
    Because I value people's opinions. I can learn who the most influential modern philosophers are, but I may miss someone who is not necessarily well known. I consider it 'consulting the experts' in a way.
  • dan0mac
    I'll look them up. Thank you!
  • Antony Nickles

I think the forefront of modern analytic philosophy (not discussing social topics) is Ordinary Language Philisophy, which was reacting to Positivism (among other things), first with Wittgenstein and then J.L. Austin's response to A.J. Ayer. The current proponent is Stanley Cavell, who is ground breaking in his methods of changing our perspectives, and the breadth of its application, though there are others, Cora Diamond, Mulhall. Try an essay from Must We Mean What We Say.
  • SophistiCat
    Well, this place may be slightly more expert than the general population, on average, but only slightly. There are hardly any professionals here, a few well-read dilettantes, but most aren't very knowledgeable.
  • bongo fury
    I consider it 'consulting the experts' in a way.dan0mac

There are hardly any professionals here, a few well-read dilettantes,SophistiCat

Well they did put scare quotes and say "in a way".
  • Rxspence
    Philosophy
    the rules of debate
    Methods of reasoning
  • dan0mac
    I love all of these responses- 'the only thing I know is I know nothing' etc. I've gotten exactly what I wanted- way too many books and authors to read. Thank you y'all so much, I'll get cracking!
  • dan0mac
    I have noticed nowadays there is a very tangible intersection of anthropology/archaeology/philosophy I find very interesting
  • 180 Proof
    Some (indispensable yet underapprecated) 'moderns' in my canon:

Peter Wessel Zapffe
    Emil Cioran
    Nelson Goodman
    Clément Rosset
    Philippa Foot
    Albert Murray
    Susan Haack
    David Schweickart
    David Deutsch
    Ray Brassier