• Enrique
    Since my thread trying to get a discussion going about my book got deleted, I thought I should forward some content of a little more depth to justify the post.

In the first subsection, "The Historical Development Towards Empirical Objectivity", of section 4, "Instincts and Social Constructs", I address the origins of civilized objectivity in antiquity’s philosophy, emphasizing ancient Greek culture’s heavy influence upon Europe’s epistemic foundations. Conditions of both material and conceptual kinds distinguished European empiricism’s decline in the 1st millennium C.E. from its permanent presence starting in the Middle Ages. Strict orthodoxy that dominated for much of the Medieval period gave way during the Renaissance to more progressive philosophy and education, which began to revolutionize the continent’s worldview, making rationality and empirical activity of an innovatively systematic form more widespread, engendering massive shift from regarding the cosmos’ causality as imposed by supracognitive fate towards an outlook conceiving human minds as the locus of our world’s apparent structure and reason the keystone of civilization’s future.

The 18th century European quest for general principles by which to understand human social organization amongst many diverse subcultures gave birth to large-scale historical analysis in academia, apexing as evolutionary theories of ontology, economy, nature and culture, a seminal Hegelianism soon followed by Marxist politics, Darwinist naturalism, and Nietzscheanesque analysis of the mutating memetic psyche, together with many peers throughout the realms of Western intellectualism. At the turn of the 20th century, Western philosophical thought within its progressive subcultural milieu began to crystallize and expand into a system-based civilization, including accelerated theoretical and technological progress, more finely crafted discovery procedures, and a grand synthesis of disparate rationalist and empiricist strands of investigation, which altogether generated the enormous edifice of analytical science centered around quantitative modeling, distributed worldwide and capable of utterly reconstituting our planet’s future. Humanity is still trying to tame the radically transformative social and ecological consequences of these rapid developments, seeking to optimize highly systematic modern collectivism while averting potential for imprisonment in a maladaptive mechanistic nightmare of our own creation as well as destruction from misuse of this growing technical potency.

So even if you want to ignore the following wordpress.com link to my book excerpt: Standards for Behavioral Commitments: Philosophy of Humanism, this is some substance for thought. We can talk about anything philosophy of history related, but you guys should give my book download a look, its free and plenty of great conversation starters! Quantum mechanical consciousness, an evolutionary account of organic perception's origins all the way to modernity's academic discourse, the ethics of cultural progress, you wouldn't believe how much I thanklessly slaved! Feel free to mock if you would like lol
  • Possibility
    To be perfectly honest, I find your style of writing to be unnecessarily verbose and academic - like you’re trying to make the simplest human processes, particularly those we all understand, into something highly technical. Often, after wrestling through long-winded paragraphs, I find myself wondering why - you’ve yet to tell me anything I don’t already know, and it’s certainly not presented in any novel or intriguing way, but you’re making me work so damn hard for it, all the same. It just seems so unnecessary.

I find the topics of discussion you bring up to be fairly interesting in themselves, but despite several attempts I just can’t be bothered wading through your writing to find your point. If this OP is you being succinct, then I’m afraid it’s as clear as mud. Sorry.
  • Jack Cummins
    To Enrique.
    While I agree with Possibility that you seem to use verbose language I will try to download and read your book.
    While I do feel that I am not popular on this website, dismissed as not being a proper philosopher I am actually open minded and prepared to listen and read as many views as possible.
    I will try to find a cafe to log on to wifi with my Kindle. I will try to give constructive feedback.
  • Yodaondoda

While I think you might very well be correct with everything you've said. I'm wondering if you're leading up to something with everything you've said. You've given us a history yes, but I guess what I want to know is why I should read your book rather than any other historical account. After all, what is the purpose of a discussion on something all of us agree on?
  • Philosophim
    Your book may be great, but as they say, "Marketing is everything". (I struggle with this myself)

So what does your book give us? If you could sum up why we should read your book, what new insights can we glean? Is there an overall message? A theme that courses through the book to the end?
  • Enrique

Anyone who would like to read my book, its not quite finished, and a couple sections of the almost final copy are only available at wordpress.com . Clicking on the link in the OP of this thread, then the link in my "Book Excerpt" blog post, then the "save" icon in the window that comes up will get you a large portion of the book as a PDF file for FREE.

You've given us a history yes, but I guess what I want to know is why I should read your book rather than any other historical account. After all, what is the purpose of a discussion on something all of us agree on?Yodaondoda

I'm usually trying to assemble cohesive narratives of historical development, so when all the subject matter is put in sequence some of it is simply common sense and some highly unintuitive. Universal and unusual insights are grouped together into a single chronology, and parts are meant to merely provide a foundation of common knowledge, stuff most of us know on some level, upon which the novel material is built. I imagine that when reading the book, it will seem to be stating the obvious at moments, but with plenty of inventive insights along the way as well.

So what does your book give us? If you could sum up why we should read your book, what new insights can we glean? Is there an overall message? A theme that courses through the book to the end?Philosophim

The book is a comprehensive account of consciousness theory, social theory, and the theory of evolution, a synthesis of the sciences and the humanities. It welds all of academia into a single theoretical paradigm with suggestions for new interdisciplinary areas of research and strategies for cultural development. I'm not a professional author, I confess, so it might be slightly rough around the edges at times (though really not difficult to follow I think), but no one has written anything quite like it before. The subsections addressing the evolutionary development of cognition are completely original to my knowledge: "Advanced Theory of Perception" and "Advanced Theory of Conception".
  • Enrique
    I find the topics of discussion you bring up to be fairly interesting in themselves, but despite several attempts I just can’t be bothered wading through your writing to find your point. If this OP is you being succinct, then I’m afraid it’s as clear as mud.Possibility

Many of the posts I make at this forum are short excerpts from my book or summaries to get some entertaining informal discussion going. They're presented outside of the full context, so don't really stand alone, but a decent conversation prompt for casual purposes. Usually looking for a debate, and raising more uncertainty than I resolve is a great way of getting unexpected insights from you guys.
  • Yodaondoda

Well I guess the next question becomes, what have been some of your inventive insights?
  • god must be atheist
    While I do feel that I am not popular on this website, dismissed asJack Cummins

I think we all feel that way to a certain extent in a certain way. Because we get into arguments, and there is always an opposing opinion. That gives the effect of being unpopular. ("Mommy, mommy, all the boys want to fight me!!")
  • Enrique
    Well I guess the next question becomes, what have been some of your inventive insights?Yodaondoda

A good start is the application of quantum mechanics to consciousness theory, in particular an explanation of qualia, the basic elements of qualitative experience. I posted a brief chapter from my book (all at wordpress.com), The Nature and Human Impact of Qualia, as OP of the "Qualia and Quantum Mechanics, the Reality Possibly" thread at this forum, followed by some elaborating discussion with a few folks. The chapters Quantum Biology (descriptions of some recent research), Orthodoxies and Revolutions in the Science of Human Perception (gets into some interesting epistemology towards the end), and The Origins and Evolution of Perception in Organic Matter (narrative outline of the nervous system's evolutionary development) provide the neuroscience fundamentals.

As for the evolution of reasoning or "conception", a few chapters of my book give a comprehensive theory.

The Basic Epistemology and Origins of Rational Conception is an intro to the topic. Some of the material is mundane preliminaries, but towards the middle and end I get into more interesting stuff. If you're already well-versed in philosophy, it can probably be browsed or skipped altogether.

Then the following chapters give the details:

1. Humanity and the Evolutionary Phenomenology of Preanthromorphic Cognition

2. Phylogenetic Factors and Evolutionary Origins of Humanity's Language and Conception

3. The Evolution from Precivilized to Civilized Human Conception

4. The Evolution of Intellectualized Conception and Discourse in Western Civilization

I know some of those titles are a mouthful, but its not especially difficult to follow.

That's some of the inventive stuff. Basically the book is a holistic synthesis of physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, philosophy, anthropology, etc.
  • Jack Cummins

Yes, you are probably right. Most of us are quite fragile and I was responding to the thread on what others think of us at the beginning of the week.
    While I am on this thread I will say that I have been unable to download the book on Modern Paradigms because I can only download Amazon books on my Kindle. I tried on this phone but couldn't get the app I needed without upgrading my phone. So I am afraid I won't be able to read and give feedback unless libraries open for me to use a computer. Sorry about this.
  • Enrique

You can still read selections at the website philosophyofhumanism.com without a download if you want an alternative, its got almost all the same material as blog postings.
  • Jack Cummins
    I will try but it is quite difficult to read books on a phone. I struggle enough to read the long pieces on my phone. I know that you can enlarge them but then you can only see part of a sentence at once but I may give it a go tomorrow
  • god must be atheist
    Yeah, phones are tiny for reading or listening. I hope they will come up with a giant 55 inch phone that fits in my pocket.
  • Enrique

Yeah, it might be hard to read on a mobile device, but if you decide to go for it, we should discuss!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment