• Outlander
    So it is said. But does it really?

I propose, power instead exposes. Power is literally light. It illuminates the depths of depravity, rather the corruption that already exists in us all. But, also the rationale and compassion those few who have managed to keep the intrinsic goodness we're all born with after living through and successfully rising above the stresses, challenges, and indeed horrors of this life.

I will admit, those who seek it often do so for reasons other than to 'share their compassion' with the whole of society. But this is a simple matter of circumstance.

Thoughts?
  • Pinprick

In order to obtain power, one must be powerful. In order to be powerful, one must enjoy dominating others. In order to enjoy dominating others, one must be at least slightly sadistic.
  • Outlander
    In order to be powerful, one must enjoy dominating others.Pinprick

Not necessarily. Perhaps it is because of the fact you wish to see others free and not under subjugation you (by some off chance, hypothetically) convince a large enough majority of the same viewpoint and manage to gain a footing in the "power structure" as it were. You understand, to make an enlightened omelette of freedom a few misguided, woefully shortsighted eggs need to be cracked. For their benefit, of course. You understand the orders you give to others are not only easily rationalized but proven to be more for the benefit of those taking them as well as others subject (led/empowered by) yourself than for yourself. You intimately know the pain, confusion, and suffering those who follow you would face without your leadership, suffering that would be incomparable to the minor instance of humility exhibited of/when following a respected (and usually proven) leader.

In order to enjoy dominating others, one must be at least slightly sadistic.Pinprick

No argument there.
  • Miguel Hernández
    I will admit, those who seek it often do so for reasons other than to 'share their compassion' with the whole of society. But this is a simple matter of circumstance.

Ok. And faith moves mountains. But for the car, better if you put gasoline.

• Outlander
    Ok. And faith moves mountains.Miguel Hernández

If one is capable of doing something, do you think they would have a better chance of doing it quicker/easier with faith in their ability and action or without?

But for the car, better if you put gasoline.Miguel Hernández

Again, no argument there.
  • Miguel Hernández

Everybody is wonderful until it's time to pay the rent. Is it a sufficient argument?

The tale of the psychopath: A psychopath soaked a large wad of bills with poison and donated that money to an institution for poor children. They died: 12 deputies, 5 senators, 2 councilors and 1 mayor.

If one is capable of doing something, do you think they would have a better chance of doing it quicker/easier with faith in their ability and action or without?

For example, Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Salman, Winnie "The Pooh", Kim Jong-un, Godwin's subject ... Power only seeks more power.
  • Kayecta
    My view on the subject is that all power has a corrupting influence and that every individual has a certain level of resistance to such influence, which they can change throughout their life. The reason absolute power corrupts absolutely is that it would require an infinite level of resistance to corruption to not be corrupted. Basically, you would have to be omnibenevolent to handle being omnipotent.

You are right though, power does expose how corrupt someone is.
  • philosopher004
    My view on the subject is that all power has a corrupting influence and that every individual has a certain level of resistance to such influence, which they can change throughout their life. The reason absolute power corrupts absolutely is that it would require an infinite level of resistance to corruption to not be corrupted. Basically, you would have to be omnibenevolent to handle being omnipotenKayecta

You are right though, power does expose how corrupt someone isKayecta

I think that just as every individual has a certain level of resistance to power they also have a 'Will to power'. And what if the thing which makes us corrupt is the accessibility to power.
  • Kayecta
    I don't think the accessibility to power alone is corrupting; it's the accessibility and the usage of more power than we can handle.
  • hope
    compassionOutlander

Weakness masquerades itself as compassion.

It's better to be fair than good.

It's better to be whole than good.

It's better to be honest than good.

It's better to be wise than good.

There is alot of things better than being good and or compassionate. Being compassionate is maybe a good trait for a woman who is caring for babies lol
  • Tom Storm
    So it is said. But does it really?

I propose, power instead exposes. Power is literally light. It illuminates the depths of depravity, rather the corruption that already exists in us all. But, also the rationale and compassion those few who have managed to keep the intrinsic goodness we're all born with after living through and successfully rising above the stresses, challenges, and indeed horrors of this life.

Thoughts?
    Outlander

Lord Acton made this comment and went on to say something like 'great men are always bad men.'

William Pitt (the Elder) said a similar thing - 'Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it.'

I think it's true, but not for everyone. Many people who get power (and this is an ill-defined word) end up using/abusing that power in ways that are not ethical. What do you expect to happen when you leave your teenagers at home with the keys to the liquor cabinet when you go away for the weekend? There are a lot of people who are well behaved only because they have never had the opportunity to be otherwise.

I don't think people are born with intrinsic goodness - what's the evidence for that? People are born with capacities to go in many directions. Where they go will depend on personality, the situation and power.
  • javi2541997
    Many people who get power (and this is an ill-defined word) end up using/abusing that power in ways that are not ethical.Tom Storm

I think that is even a vicious circle. Many of the politicians have to act in this way if they want to “survive” inside the powerful sides of the State. Not only a monetary corruption but a social one, like cheating or having “secrets” from others... I guess this is something so unstoppable.
  • TheMadFool
    Weakness masquerades itself as compassion.hope

Good point but a tad bit too cynical for my taste. It's true that the weak have no choice but to feel compassionate - they're powerless to do anything else like resist/fight back for example. However, as weird as this sounds, there's something lamentable/sad about power - the powerful are constantly under threat from others who, like them, seek power and since they're willing to do anything to retain power they must always be watchful for there are those who'll do anything to attain power. From this simple truth about power, misery ensues - those who project power aren't happy (fear of losing power) and those who are at the receiving end are unhappy (liberty is impinged upon). Lose-lose. Thus, compassion I suppose.

BTW, freedom masquerades as power!
  • Tom Storm
    I think that is even a vicious circle. Many of the politicians have to act in this way if they want to “survive” inside the powerful sides of the State. Not only a monetary corruption but a social one, like cheating or having “secrets” from others... I guess this is something so unstoppable.javi2541997

Yes, all that is part of the whole process. Same thing can happen in business.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.