• CallMeDirac
    In Nietzsche view the effect outweighs the intention. For example, you see a shady guy walking around and decide to drop an anvil on their head cartoon style, your intention was to hurt them but the effect was that no one robbed. (For this say they were a known robber that had been at large) Should you be punished for the intention or rewarded for the outcome?
  • Outlander
    Generally speaking you shouldn't attempt to murder someone in cold blood just because you don't like the way they look. They have places that can help you if you feel the urge to, so long as you haven't done it yet.

Beyond that, there is no 'outcome' to reward other than hypothetics. Not a good example, in short.

Let's look at it another way. Say you planned to lure a known rapist to your house under the pretense of being a teen girl. Say some random dude whose car broke down on the way to volunteering at the old folk's home happens to knock at your door with the same haircut or something. What do you think should happen.
  • CallMeDirac

It was an example, I do not own any anvils.

I wasnt asking about hypotheticals I was just wondering poeples outlook on intention versus outcome
  • Antony Nickles

I'm wondering what text you read to take him to believe effect outweighs intention; not that I feel you're wrong, but I'm curious. J.L. Austin and Stanley Cavell say intention only comes into a situation when something goes wrong or unexpected. As in: "did you intend (mean) to do that?" Or, "did you intend to stop that robber?" The effect might "outweigh" that because the effect could be anticipated from the act--it is one of the expected outcomes, so why ask what they "intended"?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.