• Thinking
    Thought as we know it is the prime tool a philosopher uses to find the higher truths of our existence. I am aware of the many methodologies that are in place for thinking. But, I am wondering if there is ways to perhaps accelerate or sharpen the thoughts themselves in order to almost physically comprehend more in a given moment without the use of psychoactive drugs.

• deletedmemberdp

"Thought as we know it is the prime tool a philosopher uses to find the higher truths of our existence. I am aware of the many methodologies that are in place for thinking. But, I am wondering if there are ways to perhaps accelerate or sharpen the thoughts themselves in order to almost physically comprehend more in a given moment without the use of psychoactive drugs."

You don't need to sharpen or accelerate the thoughts. If we were able to accelerate everything then the whole point of learning from experience would be lost. Best to broaden the mind, surely, than to quicken or sharpen. We do seem to be quickening everything we do at the moment and that isn't necessarily to our benefit. And, yes , I haven't answered your question. Maybe I would have done had I accelerated or sharpened my thoughts.
  • Thinking
    I see the speed and quality of peoples thoughts vary from individual to individual. An extreme example would be retardation. I think that if we were to come up with a way to think and live to improve the thoughts themselves that it would become a great asset to the philosopher in his works. So hypothetically finding an answer to this question is more important than any other, for once found it would be capable of answering many other questions to a higher degree and perception.
  • deletedmemberdp
    Retardation is about incorrect wiring of the brain. You could rewire the brain like you do a car to improve its performance but it would be simplifying life to just do that. We must improve slowly for a reason
  • Harry Hindu
    "Everyone should learn a computer language - to learn how to program a computer - because it teaches you how to think."
    -Steve Jobs
  • EricH
    I take my lead from Donald Trump - I only think the best thoughts. :joke:
  • HippyheadAccepted Answer
    But, I am wondering if there is ways to perhaps accelerate or sharpen the thoughts themselvesThinking

There is such a way. Give the thinking a rest.

When we exercise our muscles we are damaging the muscles. The muscles are rebuilt a bit stronger during the time that we aren't exercising. This same simple common sense principle can be applied to the operations of thought.

Imagine that you bought a new machine from HomeDepot. The first thing you'd want to learn is where the on/off button is. If you couldn't or wouldn't find and learn the on/off button you'd be considered a totally incompetent user of that machine. You know, you'd be the guy who leaves his lawn mower running 24 hours a day in his garage because he never learned how to turn it off.

Philosophers wish to be great thinkers, but they typically can't be bothered to learn about the on/off button of their chosen tool. And so they often think non-stop every waking moment, thus needlessly dulling the edge of their knife. As a result most of philosophy is typically just an endless repetition of what somebody else has said, with each speaker attempting to rebrand what has already been said as their own invention.

Your stated goal is, "to perhaps accelerate or sharpen the thoughts themselves in order to almost physically comprehend more in a given moment".

Accelerating thoughts is easy enough, just feed your mind as much media stimulation as you can. In this case, you'll have more and more thoughts, of ever lesser value.

Sharpening the thoughts is a trickier business, as that will require letting the thoughts go on a regular basis, much as a the body builder gets stronger by resting.

Should the thoughts become sharp enough you might discover that your sharpened thoughts are less the path to what you really want than they are the primary obstacle. And then your philosophy may begin to devour itself. So if you really wish to be a great philosopher, don't sharpen your thoughts too much. :-)
  • Thinking
    I highly appreciate your input especially on trying to turn your thought off for a while. I know it is possible to also overdo the thinking process in your brain and actually start burning holes in it. But how to turn it off? I would imagine it would require a supreme conscious awareness of your thoughts, as I'm sure you're aware that controlling when you think is very difficult. Like a masters dog in a whistlers convention.
  • Pantagruel
    Thought as we know it is the prime tool a philosopher uses to find the higher truths of our existence. I am aware of the many methodologies that are in place for thinking. But, I am wondering if there is ways to perhaps accelerate or sharpen the thoughts themselves in order to almost physically comprehend more in a given moment without the use of psychoactive drugs.

View Answer
    Thinking

Yes, read huge amounts of high-quality writings, and write every chance you get. If such is your aspiration, then lifelong/higher education sounds like your best bet.
  • Thinking
    But doesn't writing serve as a artificial replacement for the capacities that already exist within the mind? If so you are in the end weakening your mind.
  • Pantagruel
    Oh my goodness, I wouldn't say so, no. Writing is a unique capacity. You are actually kinaesthetically integrating with words, concepts and ideas, you are getting visual feedback, it certainly adds a modality to thought.
  • magritte

Thinking and focused rational thinking are not the same, they aren't even done by the same mental facilities. Thinking is an ongoing unstoppable act of all minds that we have in common with other animals. Focused thinking is the creative adaptive activity that goes on still at an unconscious level. Rational thought is only possible for mature humans and even there with imperfections. The latter two are the tools of the philosopher, artist, scientist. Which of these would you like to sharpen?
  • Pantagruel
    Thinking and focused rational thinking are not the same, they aren't even done by the same mental facilities.magritte

Are you suggesting that there are different kinds of thinking? I never really thought about that before. Off the top of my head, however, I would believe that thought is thought, and that, if it is differentiated, it is differentiated by degrees. So thought might be more or less pragmatic, more or less rational, more or less utilitarian. What happens when one kind of thought communicates with a different kind of thought? Is that, then, a different kind of thought again?
  • magritte
    What happens when one kind of thought communicates with a different kind of thought? Is that, then, a different kind of thought again?Pantagruel

Good point. Some thought would have to communicate between two entirely foreign processes that operate at distinct modes and speeds. Kind of like having both interpretive plus expressive phases going in both directions. I'm picturing an analogous problem of reading a book - how can those printed marks first represent and then be read as ideas?
  • Pantagruel
    how can those printed marks first represent and then be read as ideas?magritte

Yes, the whole problem of symbolicity really is the crux of the modern problem of thought I think. Not a simple problem either, there are so many different dimensions (which I think is the point, it is the confluence of these dimensions). I'm focusing on this topic currently, as it happens.
  • Thinking
    I think the problem would be simpler than it presumes. When you read a word you obtain an image in your mind Associated with that word, for example the word "war" most likely gives you the most common image of war such as men killing each other with guns on a battlefield rather than less associated images such as strategy in war. Those images are the thoughts you think when reading various words you have learned to associate with them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.