• Ciceronianus
    Welcome, all! Or better, perhaps--Come one, Come all, to America's Feast of Fools!

Based somewhat loosely on the Medieval Feast (or Festival) of Fools--pardon me, Festum Fatuorum--this festival, which is of relatively recent origin, is formally held on the date of every presidential election, but the festivities are known to extend for several days after voting has taken place. While the Medieval Feast celebrated the election of a mock Pope or Archbishop, we here in the United States celebrate the election of a mock President.

Most of us are familiar enough with the original Feast, having seen it animated in Disney's strange and disturbing Hunchback of Notre Dame. The most ridiculous or grotesque person available was made Pope/Archbishop, and all joined in laughing at that figure while purportedly offering it reverence. Liturgical and religious ceremony was parodied. It shared certain characteristics with the Roman Saturnalia. We in the U.S. similarly elect some absurd personage as president and ape the ceremonies of a democracy or republic. Here, though, we don't laugh at the Feast. Instead, or so I suspect, we're laughed at by the rest of the world.

Ah well, what can I say? The spirit, or something, moved me. But in fact, it's just part of a blog post I'm putting together. Am I being too sardonic, you think? Do I overreact? Does it matter? I don't know, but though I normally have low expectations about politics, I'm feeling a bit depressed by this. I hope it isn't the beginnings of angst.
  • Outlander
    The most ridiculous or grotesque person availableCiceronianus the White

Takes one to know one. Does it not? Vanity is the preferred lens of the true fool, not by birth, as we are all ignorant at such a time, but through life when challenges and lessons, rather the merit and wisdom they bring forth, are traded or dismissed for mere pleasantries of the senses.
  • unenlightened
    I fear what you are lacking is a contrasting un foolish everyday from which to celebrate a holiday.

Perhaps we should rather institute a Feast of Wise Men, when we mock the impotence of reason and virtue.
  • Ciceronianus
    Perhaps we should rather institute a Feast of Wise Men, when we mock the impotence of reason and virtue.unenlightened

We do that already, all the time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.