• Banno
    Humanism is the hope that we can work with each other.

Misanthropy, the desperate realisation that all we have to work with is each other.

Philosophical Misanthropy

The Enemy and the Fugitive are too desperate. So one finds oneself vacillating between the Activist and the Quietist.
  • Banno
    Go back a step, then: Misanthropy is the moral condemnation of humanity.

Not the hatred of humanity, but the recognition of their moral culpability. The cited article seeks to "recognise the moral awfulness of humanity without drifting into hatred, violence, or despair".

...the real philosophical task isn’t about living out a single misanthropic stance; it’s about dealing with the emotionally and morally difficult oscillation between stances. Coping with this is the heart of the misanthropic predicament.
  • Possibility
    Thanks for the article. I think it helps to recognise the broader potential of humanity: both the tendency towards ignorance, isolation and exclusion, as well as our capacity for awareness, connection and collaboration. I think this is partly why I, too, find myself vacillating between the Activist and the Quietist. It’s hope, I guess: a quiet confidence that genuine and stable leaps forward have occurred as a minority movement - a barely noticeable yet progressive creep, not a bloody revolution.
  • Banno
    Cheers. I'd read the article a month ago, and was intending to post something, but bypassed it in a bunch of other threads. Recent events brought me back to it.

The take-home is that half of eligible voters wanted to put their trust in a liar.Banno

The tick is to be exasperated, but not to despair. Things improve, in small steps. Perhaps.
  • Gnomon
    Misanthropy, the desperate realisation that all we have to work with is each other.Banno
    "Hell is other people" ___Sartre
  • Aryamoy Mitra

You'd hypothesize that one of most history's most revered Existentialists would confer a greater value onto the material subject of his philosophy.
  • Ansiktsburk
    In the TS Humanism is given an explanation. Thats pretty bold IMHO. What humanism is, is up for the grabs even more than misantropy. Some fluffy benelovent feelings toward people in general. The wealthy left do have kind of kidnapped the term for the moment, but "work together" does not seem to cover that contemporary version. Or any version I have heard about.

But common for the two, Humanism and Misantropy seems both to want to construe a simplified, holistic view of the world, to escape from the messiness world have.
  • 180 Proof
    The [tr]ick is to be exasperated, but not to despair. Things improve, in small steps. Perhaps.Banno
    I'm reminded of
    The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned. — Antonio Gramsci

My own 'misanthropy' is absurdist, rather than existential, in the similiar vein of a posthuman (posthumous?) conjecture à la
    Man is a rope [ ... ] he is a bridge and not an end. — Freddy Zarathustra
    such that 'all we have is each other' to bring about a succcessor species or, more likely, prematurely our own extinction.
  • Gnomon
    You'd hypothesize that one of most history's most revered Existentialists would confer a greater value onto the material subject of his philosophy.
    Aryamoy Mitra
    Uh, no. I have no hypothesis. Just a tongue-in-cheek quote. :joke:
  • Aryamoy Mitra

I entirely concur. I was merely conveying that given the character of the quote, one would hypothesize the above. 'You' was used interchangeably; I wasn't referring specifically to your quotation, but was rather inferring a conclusion from it.
  • frank
    The cited article seeks to "recognise the moral awfulness of humanity without drifting into hatred, violence, or despair".Banno

There are only two ways to do that: acceptance or delusion.
  • Judaka
    Humanity shouldn't be judged as people are too different from each other. Really, any attempt to judge humanity will show the interests and interpretations of the intellect above anything else. Humans in the aggregate can be judged with sweeping generalisations but any one human is too complex for anyone to fully understand. Misanthropy may be emotionally satisfying but it's intellectually shallow and pointless.
  • Banno
    Humanity shouldn't be judged...Judaka
    And yet you so judge.
  • Banno
    SO is heaven.
  • Banno
    Delusions have their place.
  • Gnomon
    ↪Gnomon
    SO is heaven.
    Banno

So Heaven also needs Humanism? :smile:
  • Judaka

The classic banno response.
  • frank
    Delusions have their place.Banno

Cant get through the day without one or two.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.