• frank

I think it has to do with love. As if: when we light candles for George Floyd, can we light one for all the others who have been forgotten? Like that.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    I think it has to do with love. As if: when we light candles for George Floyd, can we light one for all the others who have been forgotten? Like that.frank

Who's George Floyd?

Infinite candles is a very poetic concept, but I think each person should light a candle to "his-self", the greatest tragedy one will ever experience.

And "love" is entirely metaphysical. That is in contrast to "blasting some pussy" and "making an army" yo! One more distinction....the metaphysical is only for the believer. For the nonbeliever, the metaphysical is only words we use for various reasons.
  • frank
    Who's George Floyd?Merkwurdichliebe

A famous victim.

For the nonbeliever, the metaphysical is only words we use for various reasons.Merkwurdichliebe

Isnt that a metaphysical statement?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    For the nonbeliever, the metaphysical is only words we use for various reasons.
    — Merkwurdichliebe

Isnt that a metaphysical statement?
    frank

You'll have to explain what you mean by "metaphysical statement".

I would definitely call it a statement about the metaphysical, even a claim about one actor's relation to the metaphysical.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Who's George Floyd?
    — Merkwurdichliebe

A famous victim.
    frank

Not that famous. I know who James Brown is. Wait he's not a victim, nevermind

(Reginald Denny is the funniest victim, no offense to any victims)
  • Banno
    One of those things is that morality comes from god.Merkwurdichliebe

Even if a moral law were indisputably laid down by the good lord, it would remain open for people to choose to obey or not.

So no, the choice is yours, regardless of there being or not being a god.

You are the source of your ethical decisions.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Even if a moral law were indisputably laid down by the good lord, it would remain open for people to choose to obey or not.Banno

First of all, "good lord" is the greatest of contradictions, such a thing is less likely than a hexahedronical sphere.

The believer believes that he has only one viable choice, even though he recognizes that there is more than one choice (many wrongs, but one right). It is paradoxical in that the believer chooses, even though he has no choice. But on deeper examination, the right "choice" of the believer becomes indisputable for him. Nothing can tell against it, no reason can be considered, morality to the believer is eternal law.

The "choice" of the nonbeliever, can be explained better, and to me or you it definitely makes more sense from a practical standpoint, like doing things together. And as we know nothing is more stubborn or divisive than religious conviction, and rightly so. But none of that matters to the believer.
  • Banno
    Hard determinism...?

Cheers. You take care, now. Bye.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Hard determinism...?Banno

Only when I'm with my lady...cheers matey!
  • frank
    would definitely call it a statement about the metaphysical, even a claim about one actor's relation to the metaphysical.Merkwurdichliebe

If you're making claims about the metaphysical, does that show you're a believer?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    If you're making claims about the metaphysical, does that show you're a believer?frank

Making metaphysical claims does not show that one is a believer. Strictly speaking, there is no actual way to show (to prove) that one is in fact a true believer. Even claiming oneself to be a believer, or practicing religious ritual, does not show that one holds actual religious belief.
    This is because everyone else has only indirect access to that person's belief via his actions and words. Only the believer himself can know, with any certainty, whether he is truly religious since he is the only person with direct access to his own belief.
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet