• tim wood
    We should meet. There are simple games I should like to engage you in, for money.

Research some elementary probability theory. E.g., the three dice problem is resolved by considering all the ways - the permutations - they can fall. Count them up, and the count will give you the odds.
  • Outlander

Anything could happen. You insist that out of 3 dice rolls, rolling the exact same number all three times is just as likely as any other scenario? So, rolling a die 50 times and getting the same number all 50 times- in a row- is just as likely as not? How come it never happens then.
  • tim wood
    As likely as any other permutation. Each is 1 in 6x6x6 = 216. But don't confuse permutations and combinations. Do you really not know any of this stuff?
  • Outlander

So, long story short the odds of rolling a single number 50 times in a row is less than not. We're hardly at odds here it would seem. What's your deal?
  • tim wood
    the odds of rolling a single number 50 times in a row is less than not.Outlander
    Eh?

My calculator says that the chance of rolling a single number 50 time in a row is abut 1 in 1.347 x 10^38. At a second per throw, I've got that at once in about 4.25 x 10^30 years. Did I make a mistake?
  • TheMadFool
    To put it another way, if you were forced to make a bet of three scenarios involving a die rolled three times. Which would you choose? A.) Each roll would be different. B.) Two rolls in a row would be the same. C.) All three rolls would be the same.Outlander

As I see it, these are equiprobable scenarios each with a probability of 1/216. Sorry, I think I missed your point.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.