• bizso09
    Why there is only one observer in the world.

Going to review 4 possible scenarios. 1. There is no observer in the world, 2. There is one observer that's shared among all beings, 3. There's multiple distinct observers. 4. There is only one observer specific to a person.

1. In case there is no observer, then we can stop right now, because nothing exists that would care about this question. That means you, or I am not even here. However, I'm clearly here writing this article, and if you're reading it, then you're also here. We have subjective experience, so 1. is not true. There is at least one observer in the world.

2. There is one observer that's shared among all beings. This sounds like a universal energy force. In that case, if I were to ask you, who you are, or what is your experience, you would answer, that you're actually experiencing everything. That's because one being from the next is literally indistinguishable from your perspective. However, if I ask you right now, who are you, you can definitely tell that your experience corresponds to ONE being's experience. In particular, you don't have access to ALL beings' experience. So it is not true that all beings are shared in the observer.

3. There are multiple beings with multiple observers. This sounds quite reasonable. The reason this is not possible is because when one being observes the world, in that world there needs to be a unique information that tells them that they are being "A" for example. For being "B" on the other hand, all things being equal, there needs to be a unique information that tells them that they are being "B". This information is the locus point of observation. However, let's say there's all there is to it, it's a complete description of the world. Now given being A has information that they are being A and being B has information that they are being B, when YOU are born into the world, what tells you whether you end up becoming being A or being B? Which life of A or of B are you going to experience from a subjective point of view? The answer is nothing. But right now, you have unique information that tells you that you're in fact being B, for example. This is a contradiction. In case you suppose that being A and being B live in their own distinct worlds, where they are each the locus point of observation, and hence have unique information to tell them who they are, then when YOU are being born, you still need information to tell you whether you should pick world A or world B. Hence, the fact that you exist and you can tell who you are, means this information necessarily has to be unique to you. Since this information only says where the locus of observation resides, it can only point to one person in the entire universe.

4. There is only one observer globally, and nobody else is really an observer. Well, considering that options 1-3 have been shown to be invalid, this is the only one left that's consistent with our experience of reality. However, the funny thing about this is that every single observer can derive using this argument that they're the only observer in the world globally. Clearly, if that's the case, then the world is in a contradiction. From my perspective, I know that I exist since I'm writing this post, hence I know that I'm an observer. This means other observers apart from me cannot possibly exist, using the argument above. So either that's really the case, or there's a contradiction, which is surprising.

If you want a more detailed explanation of the argument, you can refer to Selection paradox and one observer hypothesis or for a shorter version only I exist in the world (again)
  • Judaka

Rules are created by the intellect for the characterisations they make, for what exists and how to describe what exists. Solipsism is established by rules which function without being in accordance with reality, they function and are as the intellect perceives them to be or not be valid. Solipsism is argued for and against using rules, which can be flicked away by the intellect because rules do not require anything to function except the intellect finding them satisfactory. This notion of discovering a truth here is misguided, at least assert yourself for a purpose that does something more than defining a pointless resolve.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.