• bcccampello
    St. Thomas Aquinas defined friendship as wanting the same things and rejecting the same things. You are only friends with people who are going to the same place, who have the same values ​​as you; the others, even though they are your relatives, even if it is your wife, your father, your mother or your child, are not your friends, but just acquaintances. With these people, your attitude is one of charity. What charity can you have with them? Teach them. If you are still afraid of them, and are not prepared to teach them, run away. Stay in solitude, get ready, and when you’re strong, go back there, actively, with patience, but firmly. Never accept coexistence in these terms; never accept mediocrizing coexistence, which will demean you, because this is what the Bible calls the ‘company of mockers’, and you cannot have anything to do with these people. See that moving away from people does not mean that you hate them and have no love for them.

One thing that is still quite obvious is that friendship is also one of the pillars on which our personality is built. If you do not find the right friends, who share the same values as you, you will end up associating with other groups, who will offer you support and friendship in exchange for your corruption, in exchange for giving up on who you are, in exchange that you abandon your own values and make useless and abject sacrifices on the altar of false friendship.

One of the basic secrets of life is that you are able to approach people who have the same goals and values as you

A friendship that is born is like a diamond that springs from the ground. One that ends is just something we don’t think about anymore.

The most perfect form of friendship is only possible for those who seek the Truth. Worldly people, however good they may be, will never know the spiritual dimension of a true friend. Small talk and so many other stupidities are the only goal of their social life.

“Any true friend wants for his friend: 1) to exist and live; 2) all goods; 3) do him good; 4) enjoy his coexistence; and 5) finally to share his joys and sorrows with him, living with him one heart.” St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae, II-II, q. 25, a. 7.

L. Szondi taught that the choice of friends is one of the determining factors of destiny. You should not prostitute yourself out of mere human respect. Seek the friendship of the best and, without fighting, avoid the worst.

Having real friends at a distance is better than having gold-diggers and swindlers around

Idem velle, idem nolle: To be a friend is to love the same things and reject the same things. Don’t be friends with those who hate what you love.
  • deletedmemberal
    o be a friend is to love the same things and reject the same thingsbcccampello

I agree with most of the ideas in the text, yet I dislike this sentence. It is true that we should associate with people that want to grow, that have similar goals and that want to be great, however, surrounding ourselves with people that do and act the same way as us inhibits growth.
    Hate and love are such strong words and so are their assimilation to things. Befriending people that stand on the gray area between love and hate can prove more benefitial than to limit our kinship to those who stand on the same place as us.

I am an aspiring vlogger and instead of talking about gibberish, I like to present important, well thought and discussed concepts. However, my mind can only think so much, so I like to skim these forums in search for inspiration. Needless to say that I did not only found it with your post, but I think the concept is brilliantly presented. May I quote you?
  • Outlander
    Sounds unusually hollow and vain coming from someone one would assume is an old philosopher .. who people actually speak of. Are you sure you're not quoting your own assumptions or interpretations of his writings?

Wanting the same things and rejecting the same things, sounds more like business than anything else frankly. Nothing to challenge ones beliefs, no outlandish scenarios to decipher and grow from, just a bland echo chamber of what I struggle to call a social relationship. Sure. For the good of the herd I suppose. You want more grain for your area of the village from a fixed supply, so does that guy- those people over there want more for their area- sure. Why not?

Your synopsis seems to speak of two types of friends. Ones who just want less enemies (people they disagree with) around- and one who genuinely wishes to enjoy the company of another absent of some sociopathic material/social net advantage. You speak of the two as if they were one of the same. Which actually, unfortunately, is how many today treat the two.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.