• Benj96
    I’ve observed a behaviour in people that I find curious. The first part is quite expected; when someone you know is feeling down and not masking it from others (especially if tears are involved), it usually elicits concern from others. They will often try to “cheer up” the person, soothe or comfort them to get them back to a regular or “normal” mood.

The second is not as intuitive. When someone is hyper-excited, overtly cheerful or overly enthusiastic this often gets on people’s nerves leading them to “put the person down” so as to make them feel a little less happy by comparison. Ive seen it a lot. The happiest person in a group is often the target of the most cynical or pessimistic remarks and the saddest person the most encouraging and warm remarks.

What is strange is why do we feel the need to take someone down from a high. Why do we not permit excessive happiness? An extreme case of this would be the suppression of mania/ euphoria in people with bi-polar disorder.

My follow on consequence is; consider a device that can be implanted in everyone which regulates mood just as we do to each other on a daily basis. If you get a little too happy it triggers an increase in negativity and if you get a little to depressed it provokes an increase in positivity. That way no one ever suffers from depression or self harm however can probably never enjoy the most profound of emotions either. Would this be better or worse than total (and possibly destructive) freedom?

Do we need to the two extremes to have meaning/perspective? Is it important to have the full range even though nature repeatedly shows that it likes to establish equilibrium. Would equilibrium of emotions/mood even be good for us and would we still be “human” if we achieved it on a societal level?

If we are always “checking” each other’s attitudes and aligning them with the social norm what would be the difference with a machine that does the same thing?

It’s a little black-mirroesque but an interesting consideration all the same.
  • Philosophim
    We are composed of matter, and matter tends to like to stay at a state of equilibrium. When someone is super happy, and you aren't, you can feel pressure to become super happy. That takes effort though. If everyone around you is not willing to put forward that energy, they'll likely let the happy person know.

Likewise, if everyone is super happy and one person isn't. The group will try to pressure that person to put in the effort to become super happy, like everyone else. Its peer group energy equilibrium! =P
  • Judaka

Firstly, I find people who are overly excited irritating because they're loquacious, noisy and overbearing, not all the time but especially if I am tired or have other things on my mind. I do think some people bring down overly happy people and I can offer many possible explanations but I wouldn't dare say which are more prevalent than others. I think if you are not a necessarily happy person then:
    1) you likely have positive feelings towards negative emotion and negative feelings towards positive emotion
    2) you are a naturally negative person

Which makes positive emotion disagreeable both emotionally and intellectually. What I mean by 1) are things like people considering themselves "realists" or critical thinkers or perhaps more mature due to their negativity. Also, seeing too much happiness as evidence of simpleness, ignorance, shallowness and so on. And 2) you just see the bad in things naturally and yes, you tear down happy people but you just tear down everything and there's not necessarily special treatment.

For the mood modifier, I guess it would depend on whether you think you are more likely to be happy or sad (assuming you had to wear it all the time). If I was generally sad then I would use this device, I find this an easy choice but since I'm generally very happy, I wouldn't want it.
  • Pinprick
    What is strange is why do we feel the need to take someone down from a high. Why do we not permit excessive happiness?Benj96

Resentment. Our egotistical desire to be the best at everything all the time feels threatened by observing someone who seems happier than we are (How dare you be happier than me!). We seek equilibrium relative to us.

My follow on consequence is; consider a device that can be implanted in everyone which regulates mood just as we do to each other on a daily basis. If you get a little too happy it triggers an increase in negativity and if you get a little to depressed it provokes an increase in positivity. That way no one ever suffers from depression or self harm however can probably never enjoy the most profound of emotions either. Would this be better or worse than total (and possibly destructive) freedom?Benj96

This doesn’t seem desirable for a couple reasons. One is that if everyone was in relatively the same mood all the time we wouldn’t respond appropriately in certain situations. A lot of communication is nonverbal cues that allow the listener to know the emotional content of the communicator. If I can’t tell if you’re happy or sad about a particular situation, I may not know how to respond. Also, it’s been shown, or at least theorized, that depression can be beneficial, as it forces the subject to pay attention to potentially pressing issues/problems that need to be dealt with. Depressed people are also more accurate when judging their abilities, whereas people who are not depressed tend to overestimate their abilities. Also, this is overlooking the obvious question of “how much happiness/sadness is too much?”

To give another reason, live would be markedly more boring if everyone remained “middle of the road” regarding mood.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.