• frank
    This video presents a fair description of an issue on the of cusp of unsettled science:

One nice thing about this guy is that he doesn't propose to be a scientist. He makes it clear that he's struggling along with the rest of us to understand current research. And when you find a rebuttal to his video, it's likely that you'll find that some portions of the opposing view are also wrong. We'll just have to wait until things become clear.
  • Changeling
    Thanks for the channel recommendation, I subscribed.

Have you seen this one:
  • JerseyFlight

Thanks for sharing. Very objective and calm presentation. Disturbing to see how thin the arctic ice shelf was measured in 2020.
  • frank
    I havent seen that one yet. It looks good.

:up:
  • frank
    The NY Times (behind paywall) says Californians are now having trouble getting fire insurance. Eventually residents down the east coast won't be able to get flood insurance.

So the migration begins. Attempts to quantify the number of people impacted by a 1.5 degree increase in mean global temp seems futile now, but I imagine it was just a gesture.

For now the destination will be inward and northward.
  • JerseyFlight

The thing about denial is that it's meant to counter psychological fear, so we will likely see it hold on to the tune of all kinds of fantastic narratives, even in the face of desperate conditions. The real question, as Nietzsche knew so well, is how does one live among (and as) such an incompetent and primitive species?
  • frank
    I think some denial comes from a lack of trust. That's mentioned in the fact-checker site I posted in my second post. When CC advocates stray from the truth (as the British guy shown in the OP does occasionally), the effect can be counter productive.

I very much agree with what you say about Nietzsche. But: amor fati. Do you think about that?
  • JerseyFlight
    amor fatifrank

too romantic for my nature.
  • frank
    Are you a nihilist?
  • frank
    What purpose do you see in life?
  • JerseyFlight
    What purpose do you see in life?frank

I believe we can do better than this. Here the question doesn't escape subjectivity. I believe we can talk about purpose beyond the mere subjectivity of the individual, but am not going to do it in a thread on climate change.
  • frank
    Hey, you brought in Nietzsche. :razz:

But I understand. Thanks.
  • JerseyFlight
    But I understand. Thanks.frank

My position is quite developed here. I have sought out a debate with several prominent theists on the topic of Nihilism. The reason is because 1) I have formulated what I believe to be a strong position against it and 2) I want this position to be challenged by the strongest Nihilists we have in culture, and that means Christians. Needless to say, I was not surprised when the Christians I approached turned down the offer in what appeared to me as evasion. I have had many discourses with Christian professors over the years, and in nearly every case, they invent an excuse to leave the exchange. I have noticed that most people like discoursing with people that don't offer a substantial challenge to their position, this way the threat of refutation to their belief is minimized. I reject this bias form of logic, Mill tore it to shreds in the second chapter of his essay On Liberty.
  • frank
    I'd be a Christian nihilist if I were a Christian. Present your view to me if you want to. Shall I start a thread on nihilism?
  • JerseyFlight
    I'd be a Christian nihilist if I were a Christian. Present your view to me if you want to. Shall I start a thread on nihilism?frank

Thread on Nihilism, this is not for me. The Nihilism of Christians derives from the negation of positive knowledge outside their theological premises.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.