• griefkebab
    "There is no such thing as an honorable death".
    The circle of life keeps rotating, and one way or the other, life is transferred from one being to the next; One's corpse may be fodder for the next.
    The physical embodiment of self is eviscerated and returned back to the Earth.
    My question to you, is there really is an honorable way to die?
    I would think that there is honor in living, and staying alive for as long as you can is what life is all about. The circumstances behind every death may be different, and there is no plausible way to tally 108 billion human deaths to determine if the method of passing was honorable or not.

As an abstract question, which one do you think is more selfish? Life or Death?
  • Outlander
    As an abstract question, which one do you think is more selfish? Life or Death?griefkebab

I'd say the differences between one who lives to avoid death and one who dies to avoid life are infinitesimal at best. Of course, last I checked I was still alive so it's clearly a biased answer.
  • Philosophim
    I believe there is an honorable way to die.

If a grenade is thrown into a group of 100 people, including babies and innocent people, one person could throw themselves on that grenade and save everyone else.

One one dies for the preservation of something greater than merely one's selfish aims, one has died an honorable death.
  • griefkebab
    the differences between one who lives to avoid death and one who dies to avoid life are infinitesimal at bestOutlander

What differences are you referring to? I really like this quote.

last I checked I was still alive so it's clearly a biased answer.Outlander

Yes, I can see why you'd say that. The dead do not speak, and hence their argument is unheard.
  • Augustusea
    Life is always the selfish answer,
    anywho truly following the concept on an honorable death would be, to be remembered for something most people view good in history, but it truly doesn't exist outside of being a concept, as the dead would be and stay dead forever
  • griefkebab

it truly doesn't exist outside of being a concept, as the dead would be and stay dead foreverAugustusea

This reminds me of a quote,
    “There are three deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function. The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.”

― David M. Eagleman

I have to agree with yours and @Outlander's points about honorable death.
  • 180 Proof
    My question to you, is there really is an honorable way to die?griefkebab
    Yes. Living with and for honor - whether or not one is 'honored' - until the very end.

As an abstract question, which one do you think is more selfish? Life or Death? [Living or Dying?]
    Dying.
  • TheMadFool
    is there really is an honorable way to die?griefkebab

Methinks the issue of honorable death arises in times of war and what brings a tear to my eyes is that the enemy is bent on giving you as dishonorable a death as possible. :lol:

which one do you think is more selfish? Life or Death?griefkebab

Depends on why you chose whatever you chose. :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.