• Shawn
    How does having a higher IQ alter or modify one's behavior?

Seemingly a simple question, hmm.
  • tim wood
    From what to what?
  • Shawn
    From input to output... in terms of behavior and thought?
  • Pinprick
    Maybe hypothetically, but it’s realistically impossible to know. It’s not like someone behaves a certain way, then obtains a high IQ, and begins behaving differently. I suppose you could look at cases of traumatic brain injury to show that going from a higher IQ to a lower IQ alters one’s behavior, but that seems rather unfair.
  • jgill
    How does having a higher IQ alter or modify one's behavior?Shawn

Not sure you are saying what you mean to say, here. :chin:
  • bongo fury
    It’s not like someone behaves a certain way, then obtains a high IQ, and begins behaving differently.Pinprick

The room grew silent. I cursed myself for losing control and creating a scene. I tried not to look at the boy as I paid my check and walked out without touching my food. I felt ashamed for both of us.

How strange it is that people of honest feelings and sensibility, who­ would not take advantage of a man born without arms or legs or eyes-how such people think nothing of abusing a man born with low intelligence. It infuriated me to think that not too long ago I, like this boy, had foolishly played the clown.

And I had almost forgotten.

I'd hidden the picture of the old Charlie Gordon from myself because now that I was intelligent it was something that had to be pushed out of my mind. But today in looking at that boy, for the first time I saw what I had been. I was just like him!

Only a short time ago, I learned that people laughed at me. Now I can see that unknowingly I joined with them in laughing at myself. That hurts most of all.
    Daniel Keyes: Flowers for Algernon

And of course:
  • Shawn
    @all,

There are many books by highly gifted individuals that describe a path, such as Flowers for Algernon, or Heinlein's books about developing a high IQ.

In terms of behavior, it tends towards a slope of "commodification", as to utilize this new-found ability into a source of economic enrichment.

Ya?
  • Shawn
    And... hence Platonism fails, and some sort of egalitarian utilitarian society is probably developing, ya?
  • Shawn
    What about Sparta?
  • Outlander
    I don't think the hyperintelligent behave better or have any less inclination to misbehave than the rest. They just know how to get away with it more.
  • Shawn

Anarchy much?
  • Outlander

Probably right. Someone with a high IQ more than likely has an enjoyable and profitable job ie. is a "success" and would rather support the system than destroy it. Especially compared to someone with a menial minimum-wage job.
  • tim wood
    From input to outputShawn
    What input to what output? You're committing the fallacy of asking nonsense in the form of a question. Hypothesis: I'm wicked smaht. Then Shawn, "
    How does being wicked smaht alter or modify one's behavior?Shawn
    Answer: it doesn't, I've always been this way.
  • Shawn
    Hypothesis: I'm wicked smaht. Then Shawn, "
    How does being wicked smaht alter or modify one's behavior?
    — Shawn
    Answer: it doesn't, I've always been this way.
    tim wood

We're all pretty smart. So what?
  • tim wood
    So what?Shawn
    Egg-zack-ly.
  • Shawn
    Egg-zack-ly.tim wood

I mean, there's some kind of behavior at play here with regard towards increasing intelligence in a evolving socioeconomic reality, no?
  • tim wood
    I mean, there's some kind of behavior at play here with regard towards increasing intelligence in a evolving socioeconomic reality, no?Shawn

English, please. Simple sentences are good.
  • Shawn
    English, please. Simple sentences are good.tim wood

Behavior determines thought, no?

Therefore, how does super-intelligence determine future thought?
  • tim wood
    Behavior determines thought, no?Shawn
    I'm thinking that, setting aside thought as a kind of behaviour, that thinking and behaviour are different and sometimes in some ways inform each other. So. Determines? No.

That leaves, "
    does super-intelligence determine future thought?"Shawn
    Which reduces to, does the ability to think influence what may be thought, and differences in that ability effect what may be thought.

Ans.: I should think so. And so do you. Do you have some deeper idea?
  • batsushi7
    High IQ doesn't have anything to do with behavior, such as nazi-Germany leaders, scored very high on iq tests, and allthoug their ethical decisions making wasn't the best, but in other fields, like math, war strategies, architecture they were at its best, and completed their work at the best they could, and were very successful in what they did related to work skills.

In general most notorious leaders tend to have high IQ. But iq fails to measure social, economical, and ethical skills.

To be perfectly "good" and "bad", both seem to require high IQ to complete the act at its best.
  • Shawn

Very interesting. So, rewarding jobs are inherently rewarding to gifted individuals. Fitting in?
  • batsushi7
    It seems so that gifted individuals find best jobs, and many of them tend to be pictured as "psychopaths", "sociopaths". But being gifted has nothing to do with choosing right or wrong in all ethical acts, ethical "goodness" only applies to the skill-set that requires you to complete your job task.

You might have "good work" -ethics, but bad in other categories of ethics.
  • Shawn
    It seems so that gifted individuals find best jobs, and many of them tend to be pictured as "psychopaths", "sociopaths". But being gifted has nothing to do with choosing right or wrong in all ethical acts, ethical "goodness" only applies to the skill-set that requires you to complete your job task.

You might have "good work" -ethics, but bad in other categories of ethics.
    batsushi7

Thanks batsushi7, I think you have a valid point to make here. Mind if I elaborate?

When does a intellectually gifted person realize that they have achieved satisfaction?
  • Outlander

I'd imagine never. The parallels between comfort and boredom become quite evident for a highly intelligent person. So I'd imagine.
  • Pantagruel
    "It's better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied; better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied."
    ~J.S. Mill
  • ep3265
    One thing that's incredibly important for a high IQ is self reflection and understanding. It also helps if one is creative and intuitive.

According to the Big Five, those with a high percentage in O, also known as Openness, are a lot more creative and more intelligent than those whom are not. The qualities go as OCEAN, openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism.

The MBTI, or Myers Briggs Type Index, is another personality type similar to the Big Five. The types are set up as dichotomies. They go as: Introversion or Extroversion, Sensing or Intuition, Thinking or Feeling, Judging or Perceiving. According to IQ tests and research papers, Introverts are 60% smarter than Extroverts, Intuitives are about 80% smarter than Sensors, Thinkers are 70% smarter than feelers, and Judging and Perceiving make no difference. This leads us to believe INTJ and INTP are the highest IQ of all. The rankings go: INTJ, INTP (About equal), INFJ, ENTP, etc. Though this is a highly indicative test for who is high IQ or not, there are some definite exceptions. Magnus Carlsen being the biggest one in my opinion, who is ISTP and is ranked number one in Chess Internationals.

It seems we are getting closer to defining what is and isn't a good classification for who is going to be high IQ. The Right Brain is used for creativity, or Intuition usually, the Left is used for Logical thinking, or Thinking, it would thereby follow that those who are high energy in both departments are able to have high IQ.
  • Wheatley

Shawn
    It all depends on what IQ measures. If IQ measures intelligence then it affects your decision making process and attitude, which in effect, determines your behavior.
  • fishfry
    How does having a higher IQ alter or modify one's behavior?Shawn

Society is filled with an awful lot of high IQ people behaving very badly at every level of society.
  • TheMadFool

Shawn

I'd like to contextualize this question not intraspecies, as comparative conduct within the human family, but interspecies, as comparative behavior between various life-forms. Note that this is for the reason that greater differences in IQ exist between species than within a given species.

How do humans, supposedly the species with the highest IQ on the planet, compare with other animals with respect to behavior/conduct. This reminds me of what Aristotle said:

At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst. — Aristotle

Aristotle is also known to have said something to the effect that humans are rational animals (IQ)

This is, quite obviously, an ethical assessment but there's no doubt that ethics is critical to our survival as a species.

An interesting fact is, if theism is false, all the wonders of the universe, including life, especially life that's capable of developing a self-sustaining harmony, an equilibrium, between the various forces that act on it, arose in the complete absence of intelligence. Humans, despite having the highest IQ of any known life, are a far cry from achieving anything like blind chance has on Earth. Doesn't this mean that, in some sense, random throws of a die or a coin exhibits greater [genius-level] intelligence than an actual intelligent being? This is the paradox of intelligence - given the current status quo regarding intelligent life, it can't compete with pure randomness in performance. So much for IQ.
  • Shawn
    What does this fellow have to say about IQ and Behavior?

https://kingsanda.tumblr.com/
  • Shawn
    In my opinion, there's a direct correlation towards IQ and beauty and aesthetics itself.

I haven't felt such a deep connection with Schopenhauer in such a long time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment