• Spigot
    Dear philosophers,

I am trying to collect all of the commonly used arguments for the existence of God concisely. A question not connected specifically to any one religion, but you may think of a specific one in your mind when answering.

I want the argument to be cooked down to the abstraction level which makes it possible to convey the argument in one sentence. It should have two parts:

Argument of x: one sentence abstraction

For example:

Argument from authority: series of witnesses traced back to an original prophet with ultimate credibility.

Argument from emotion: I believe in x, because I feel that it's true.

Argument from self-evidency: look around you, it's just plain obvious.

Argument from experience: just talk to X, and you'll hear an answer.

Much appreciated!
  • Outlander

In a word, no. That's why it's not science and total enslavement. Lol. As some would say... always when they do harm to others never when it's done to themselves though. Then all the hands folds and knees bow.
  • 180 Proof
    You've not given any reason for your request, Spigot, or proposed a related question yet; first thing, however, that comes to my mind is the Appendix of the comic novel 36 Arguments For The Existence of God by the philosopher & novelist Rebecca Goldstein for such a list. Here's a link to an article which features the complete Appendix at the end (scroll down).

Btw, Welcome to TPF.
  • Spigot

I was considering whether or not to post the reason behind the request, and thought perhaps I'd try to keep it short, but I guess my initial instinct was more in tune (at least with you).

It's simply a hobby side project to create a booklet on the general topic of agnosticism. Common arguments would be a section in it, if it ever becomes anything.

I've had half a lifetime just learning different things I find interesting, but I haven't had equal motivation to "give back". Booklets are first attempts to see if I can overcome the boredom of producing something (anything), by putting my unique syncreticism of knowledge to use.

Thanks 180 Proof, your link really does the trick!
  • batsushi7
    Here is one of best empirical proof i ever seen for existence of God:

Man Ho Chan dissertation on The fine tuned universe and God , published in Hong Kong Baptist University link for the dissertation

Historically most famous probably St. Thomas Aquinas - Summa theologiae

Aquinas 5ways
  • DingoJones

Just Google “logical fallacies”. All the arguments for gods existence are listed under logical fallacy.
  • FreddyS
    Just Google “logical fallacies”. All the arguments for gods existence are listed under logical fallacy.DingoJones

The most glaring logical fallacy is, to me, strong atheism. How can anyone profess to be sure the universe was not created? No-one was there at the Big Bang to witness it, so we must all be agnostic.
  • DingoJones
    The most glaring logical fallacy is, to me, strong atheism. How can anyone profess to be sure the universe was not created? No-one was there at the Big Bang to witness it, so we must all be agnostic.FreddyS

How do you define “strong atheism”?
    Also, we do not have to be agnostic about the big bang because no one was there. Thats a fallacy actually.
  • Spigot

As I wrote upon opening the thread, could you cook down the dissertation you reccomend into the format I requested?

Otherwise your contribution to the question is currently: Argument from authority: God exists because some guy at Hong Kong Baptist university said so :)
  • 3017amen
    Argument from authority: series of witnesses traced back to an original prophet with ultimate credibility.

Argument from emotion: I believe in x, because I feel that it's true.

Argument from self-evidency: look around you, it's just plain obvious.

Argument from experience: just talk to X, and you'll hear an answer.
    Spigot

In their respective order:

1. Christian God: Jesus
    2. Consciousness: self-awareness & numerous metaphysical phenomena.
    3. Cosmology: something and not nothing
    4.Congitive science; NDE, Religious experiences, etc
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.