• oni
    hello!
    I don't really know if this is the right place - or site - to put this, but this site seems like a pretty friendly place as far as internet forums go, and I've been hoping for something like this to come along for a while now. if I shouldn't have posted this and there's a different place here or that you know of please let me know.
    actual post: I have been casually into philosophy for pretty much my entire coherent life, but I've only started taking it seriously in the past eight or so months (I didn't really think it was actually A Thing to study philosophy until then). as I read academic philosophical literature, watch videos about philosophy, and continue to try and learn more about it, I find myself feeling inadequate and, well, dumb. not for of a lack of understanding or appreciation of the topics and concepts and questions, more because I can't seem to reliably retain a lot of the ideas I'm reading. when I'm watching lectures or observing interactions between people about philosophy, I retain the information better. I feel like I can't actually engage in dialogues - in my head or with other people (I really really want to have conversations with people about philosophy) - because I can't remember the things I've read. has anyone else had similar experiences? if so, how did you resolve your issue? advice welcome.
    thank you very much, i hope you're doing ok ~
  • Outlander
    Try reading it aloud or perhaps if it's just a casual copy of a book you own- consider highlighting or bookmarking pages that really speak to you.

Philosophy is.. complicated. Some say it's the pursuit of truth. Some say it's merely intellectual defense for views we have that may or may not be objective.
  • Sir2u
    Welcome.

Philosophy is not so much about the amount of books you have read or the number of lectures you have attended nor the amount of their content that you retain.

Philosophy is more a way of thinking than anything else.

Lots of people think of themselves as philosophers because they have read and understood the writings of the greatest minds but, in my humble opinion, being a philosopher means that you are in some way adding to those ideas.
    People that cannot find an argument either for or against a commonly accepted idea do not deserve to don the title philosopher.

Do not try to retain the all of the ideas and thoughts of the great philosophers, think of ways ways to apply their ideas to your life or reasons for not doing so. Finding those reasons will help you to retain the important stuff. Analysis creates more and better memory than reading or listening.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.