• Gnomon
    1. What is "absolute infinity"?
    2. Give a rational explanation of how that implies anything.
    jgill
    Here's a link to a mathematician's concept of Absolute Infinity. What that limitless notion implies is usually posited, in the Judeo-Christian-Muslim traditions, as an eternal deity : the supernatural "ground of being", God, Allah . In my personal worldview, Enfernity (eternity-infinity) implies a non-humanoid Creative Principle from which space-time, matter-energy and natural laws emerged. It's not knowable empirically, but infer-able rationally. :cool:

Absolute Infinity : The Absolute Infinite (symbol: Ω) is an extension of the idea of infinity proposed by mathematician Georg Cantor.
    It can be thought as a number which is bigger than any conceivable or inconceivable quantity, either finite or transfinite.
    Cantor linked the Absolute Infinite with God,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_Infinite
  • tim wood
    is incredibleEugen
    Well, "incredible" is an adjective and necessarily says more about you than the subject. I suspect that given the ingredients, live is inevitable.
  • Eugen
    ''I suspect'' says more about you than the subject :rofl:
  • Enai De A Lukal
    you have anything to say RE the Susskind video you linked? So about "fine-tuning" (for life, not consciousness) or anthropic reasoning? No? Only interested in shadow-boxing strawmen? I'll give you this much- the strawman thing is way easier, as it requires no effort whatsoever on your part- so I guess in that sense I can understand your aversion to any sort of substantive philosophical criticism or analysis.
  • jgill
    Here's a link to a mathematician's concept of Absolute Infinity.Gnomon

Thanks. I should have looked it up. For those enraptured with set theory it must seem appropriate that it borders on the divine! :cool:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet