• stopmybrain
    So i have a problem. Anytime i feel my mind is racing towards things that i cannot change and are beyond my control, i add up a new responsibility in my life. The more responsibilities on my plate, the less time i have to dwell on things.

People think i am a super mom or a super woman handling a well paying job, two great kids, husband and 2 dogs (one pup and one senior with dementia). But still my mind races. It never seems to stop. Once every few months i reach a breakdown. I struggle with relationships and cannot let myself be dependent on anyone ever. I am tired of taking care of myself but i am not comfortable depending on anyone

Once hurt, twice shy.

I need to slow my brain down. Thoughts?
  • praxis
    A few things that can immediately promote a more relaxed mind:

• Breathing - Through the nose, slower, and with the diaphragm.
    • Diet - Enough fiber and no sugary or processed foods.
    • Exercise - Even just walking.
    • Hypnosis - For relaxation (download an app or whatever)
    • Meditation - May take some skill-building before you see a benefit.
  • jgill
    The practice of Zen might help. It's possible to reach a point where the mind still races, but one is able to stand apart and observe.
  • stopmybrain
    Thank you.

All the 5 points that praxis mentioned are for sure missing. Wish sugar was a resolution for something in life!

I just finished reading zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. It was quite a difficult book to finish but i could see how much the author believed in it and how well researched he was. How does one start building towards it?

I am generally more detached to stuff than i was before and can detach and observe (most of the times). I consider myself happy too. Or atleast happy enough to enjoy the little things in life.

But once in awhile a trigger comes along, something someone said or did or acted- and it breaks me down to bits. How do you pause and observe and not react ALL THE TIME
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.