• Maya
    If at the end of a decision you feel good, you have made the right decision for you. Doing what society views as the right thing might make you feel good, it might not. You might have your own views of right and wrong and feel amazing fighting for them. I would agree if you went to prison however or had a criminal record, that would make you feel rubbish because it’s like society is being mean/punishing you.
  • Wheatley
    If at the end of a decision you feel good, you have made the right decision for you.Maya
    It feels good to take heroin.
  • Maya

Sure thing, but I think you wouldn’t feel good when you’re life is screwed up, maybe that’s why it is illegal?
  • Wheatley

It feels good for a rapist to rape a woman.
  • Maya
    Hmm. Then I would lock him up! And/or punch him in the face!!
  • Wheatley

It feels good to rip people off.
  • Maya
    Oh, I don’t feel good ripping people off. There must be something wrong with people who do, I wouldn’t know how to fix that, but that would be just me forcing my opinion on others. C’est la vie.
  • Wheatley
    The right thing to do is what makes us feel good, without breaking the law

There must be something wrong with people who [rip people off]Maya
    You might want to change the title of your thread.
  • Maya
    Oh, that was just my opinion, I would definitely say it’s right for them to rip people off it makes them feel good but I would try and make them feel bad about it cos I’d feel bad if I got ripped off by them. To be honest I would try and change their behaviour if it affected me, but I might not if it didn’t.
  • Wheatley
    it’s right for them to rip people off it makes them feel goodMaya
    :naughty:
  • Judaka

The right thing to do is what is best for yourself as well as what is best for your pals. Or what is good for yourself and not harmful to others or better adds value to the lives of others.
  • Mww
    I would definitely say it’s right for them to rip people off it makes them feel goodMaya

This is moral relativism writ large, and for better or worse, it is us.

I might have worded the truism a little differently, but the gist is there.
  • Maya

Yes, thank you. I think there are no morals, it’s a personal view. Is that moral relativism?
  • Mww

That’s fine, as a personal view. We all have them.

I wonder, though, how you justify having no morals. It must depend on what you think morals are, such that the absence of them doesn’t diminish your humanity. Or morals don’t determine one’s humanity.

Hmmmm........dunno.
  • Nils Loc

Remember also that laws come into and out of being to serve particular interests and can be interpreted and executed with bias.

What if you had to pay a gratuitous tax for every extra window you wanted to put in your house? Such laws likely have little to nothing to do with what is right or wrong in a moral sense.
  • Maya

I guess I think the most human thing you can do is stick to what’s true for you, what works for you.
  • Maya

Ahhh. So what would I do if money came into play? Well, I guess I would weigh the pros and cons. Would someone who has strong morals do this too? I don’t know. How would having morals and making a decision play out?
  • Maya

Why do you think that?
  • Maya

I would say all knowledge and morals are baseless. Not values I don’t think. Values are principles that help you decide what is right and wrong and how to behave. A principle is a basic idea or rule. Are values personal or held by society or both? What if I don’t have the values of my society because I think they are meaningless because there are so many different cultures in the world with different values?
  • Bunji

I guess I think the most human thing you can do is to stick to what's true for you, what works for you.
    Why would I be interested in what's "true for me"? How can I even make sense of that? The Donald Trump definition of truth: What is true is whatever works for me.
  • Wheatley
    I would say all knowledge and morals are baseless.Maya
    Moral skepticism?
  • Maya

Mmm! Yes. Moral skepticism. Cool. Which one are you?
  • Wheatley

I haven't decided.
  • Maya
    It means you make your own mind up without forcing your opinion on other people, because people are different and have different viewpoints. But the key here is, you don’t have to listen to other people either, especially if they try to force their opinion on you. I’m happiest this way, because I make my own decisions and if it doesn’t work out, the only person I can blame is me. And if it does work out, the only person responsible is me. Doesn’t that sound nice?
  • Maya

How much time do you have left?? I mean no offence.
  • Wheatley

This isn't about me.
  • Maya

What isn’t? The forum? You mean the world? Would you be happy to finish undecided though? That sounds silly to me, all that thinking about a question for nothing. Or do you plan to decide someday or ‘die trying’ ?
  • Wheatley

I mean, I rather not discuss my personal views. If you must know, I happen to dislike philosophy and prefer to take a practical approach to life.
  • A Seagull
    If at the end of a decision you feel good, you have made the right decision for you. Doing what society views as the right thing might make you feel good, it might not.Maya

One can take it further and say that people who promote morals and morality do so because it makes them feel good.
  • Judaka

In summary, doing what is best for yourself and others is in fact what is best for yourself and others. Well, the topic of OP is so huge that nothing intelligent can be said but in general, I think many opportunities are lost when you only serve yourself and no opportunities gained.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.