• Maya
    I’ve just put my first discussion in Ethics and it’s not there?
  • Outlander
    What was it about? Did you read... the whatever. It's not whatever you know.
  • Maya
    I’ve read the guidelines, maybe it was too short? 3 or 4 sentences. I would be worried about it mentioning Oxfam in title and post, thread in Ethics.
  • Outlander

While the place is in no high ground to shoot down short posts.. yeah. Really ought to expand on whatever more deeply. Learn to use non specific metaphors. I have a friend who.. such and such.
  • fdrake
    I deleted it.

Your original post was full of mistakes and made little argument. If you work on it a bit, repost it.

Some pointers:

(1) You made a few statements to the effect that everyone should donate 10% of their income to Oxfam, on the basis of it being a good thing to do. There are plenty of good things to do which we are not required to do; why is it necessary to donate, and why is it necessary to donate to Oxfam in particular?

(2) If you intended to leverage a more general obligation to charity - insofar as people are morally obliged to give some of their income to charity - why 10%? Why not 9%? Why Oxfam? A discussion of why 10% to Oxfam would be the least amount to give would've been nice.

If you connected donations to Oxfam to the good deeds it does, then made an argument for why Oxfam was the best charity for achieving those good deeds, then made an argument for why that amount of donation is required of every person - that would be a much better thread starter.

Why I deleted it: the absence of much argument made it simultaneously low quality and indistinguishable from advertising. If you argue more thoroughly and precisely, it would be a fine thread starter.
  • Wheatley
    Your post was a request asking people to donate to a charity. There wasn't anything philosophical about it yet you posted here in the ethics forum. It has nothing to do with ethics, as a philosophical study.
  • Maya
    Don’t worry. It was about objective truth and people being equal. I don’t know how to argue the details of that. Maybe I will be content in arguing for objective truth rather than subjective truth. Regards,
  • fdrake

The mod @Baden wrote a detailed guide for writing a thread's original post here. It may help. Note that most OPs (original post) are much worse than the examples he gives, and you can still write a good OP without following all of them.
  • Maya
    So if I would like to post a thread titled ‘Objective Vs. Subjective Truth’, that’s most likely not original, so I would find that thread somewhere?
    What category is Philosophy of Truth?
    Thanks
  • fdrake

Err... Probably metaphysics and epistemology.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.