• Benj96
    The ancient Greek story of pandoras box describes a container or vessel in which there are great evils. Pandora, captivated with curiosity opens the box and releases these vices, hexes and malicious content onto the world.

There are of course many versions of the story. Some with a vessel full of good and bad things. One, where once all the bad has been released hope remains in the box.

Despite the mythical nature of the story I think it enshrines well the concept of "opening a can of worms" or "biting off more than one can chew". My question is, what do you think - figuratively/metaphorically speaking - are possible modern day pandoras boxes?

What kind of things at the hands of modern day humanity could be described analogously with pandoras box?
  • Lucas Relvas
    I will stick with a version that combines what is expressed below:

There are of course many versions of the story. Some with a vessel full of good and bad things. One, where once all the bad has been released hope remains in the box.Benj96

To try and find a good analogous to this version of Pandora's myth Pandora's box (or vessel), I will attempt to identify one that fulfills the following:

I - Its unveil was done by a member of humankind;
    II - There was exploration of an object that arose beyond humankind's control;
    III - Both good and bad things, of considerable impact, might come out of what was found;
    IV - We can still hope for the best

I choose the foundation of molecular genetics.

Its unveil was done by Ronald Fisher, a member of humankind, just as Pandora is said to be;
    Like Pandora's investigation towards an object crafted by the gods, Fisher was trying to investigate a thing carved by nature;
    Diseases might be forever cured, eugenics might find a perverse approach and unpredictable good and bad outcomes might emerge from what follows the discovery of DNA's nucleotide sequence's evolutionary impacts;
    For the good and for the bad, we hope that mankind is able to make its choices wisely
  • Benj96
    a very apt example thank you. I enjoyed contemplating it and totally agree the power for benefit and detriment that comes with exploring genetics as well as the mystifyingly natural complexity defo makes it a good analogy. I wish more people got involved in the discussion but alas
  • DingoJones

I counter your proverbial Pandoras Box with the proverbial double edged sword.
    All things have negative consequences once discovered or “unleashed”. It is therefore more accurate to use the double edged sword analogy, as thats what most things are like. Double edged. Pandoras Box makes a presumption about the ills but ignores the benefit. Even unleashing evils with not good falls short, because good can come from evil. Good needs evil to have meaning in fact.
  • Lucas Relvas

You're welcome, mate. Glad you liked it

It's a great topic and I would also be snug as a bug in a rug if more fellows could play the ballgame with us
  • Outlander

You can't really blame Pandora though. Someone created both her and the box. It can be argued the nature of both Pandora and the box should perhaps have been more adequately accounted for.

Tongue in cheek, sounds like more women bashing to me. :grin:
  • Outlander
    What kind of things at the hands of modern day humanity could be described analogously with pandoras box?Benj96

Science. Technology. Both already proven to a ridiculous extent.
  • Benj96
    You can't really blame Pandora thoughOutlander

I dont blame her. I would gave done the same. Inquisitiveness is a hard thing to stifle. I would say its human nature to interact with that which it is probably best not to
  • Outlander

Maybe then. For the past 300 years- at least- science has been advancing and creating so much including possibility the imagination is barely able to keep up. And this presents a new danger. Or perhaps... the two are one and the same.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.