• Outlander
    Something like the Lounge or perhaps not and like the other sub forums. I wanted to propose this idea for discussion in light of the recent member who was less than flattered by his perceived 'reception' from his first OP. Many forums have a kind of 'Post here first' area.

I understand the mandatory discerning nature of this forum, rather the quality of content that is available as a result and I have to say that's one of the reasons I admire it and can't stay away for very long. However, there are young folks or perhaps older folks who never pursued the art. When I was 16 for example, my life was pretty turbulent at the time, I noticed one of my more interesting and frankly enjoyable cousins was always reading books on philosophy. Ayn Rand, Nietzsche, Dostoevsky, etc. I figured, hey it must be good. Got copies of many of the classics and read into a few of them but it was this one book "Philosophy for Dummies" that really got me understanding more at that age and level. And I'll always be grateful for that. I was a pretty normal 16 year old. Smoke, drank a few beers and such every now and then. Save for my interest in MMORPGs, coding and web development, and national security. I'll admit it was largely because I wanted to be "better". Smarter. Wiser. Simply put more likely to be able to get what I desired.. impress friends, family, the ladies, etc. To be able to be mentally "above" any undesirable situation, circumstance, or the like. Selfishness I suppose. But from that I grew up some so I can now say sure my pursuit of knowledge is to improve my life but in doing so to also improve the lives of others around me and who deserve it.

Which is why I think such a subforum may be warranted. At that time in life I needed a "hand up" and philosophy helped give me that. I get that over here its "quality over quantity" as in you don't want like "ya bros homeboy" to sign up just to do so and start posting about what if the Moon is made out of cheese.. or something. Not everyones cut out to be a philosopher sure I understand that, just as not everyones cut out to be a star athlete or bodybuilder.

Basically something of a welcome forum, or even a novice forum mods can move threads they deem to be I dunno.. what's a better word for simple... introductory. For example. It can feature pinned threads to downloads/videos of introductory philosophy, basic types and concepts, logic 101, etc. Friendly folk who realize no not every thread there is going to lead to a groundbreaking debate but just want to lend a helping hand.

So why not just the Lounge? I'd say.. because it's the Lounge! "Have a blether, talk about kittens" etc. Share a few jokes, funny topics, I dunno.

After all, a society is judged by how they treat the least of them.

What do you guys think?
  • Changeling
    What do you guys think?Outlander

Stop putting yourself down.
  • Pfhorrest
    I think it would be nice if it were possible to rank the quality of a post or thread, and then people could sort or filter by quality and look as low down the ranking as they feel like, rather than having to rely on the admins to make a hard judgement call on what is quality enough or not.

The defaults sort of the front page could factor in this quality rank, so the front page remains full of only high quality posts.

And perhaps the amount of votes that can be cast by any user should be dependent on their own history or quality rankings.

I know this would depend on software changes though, but it’d be nice to see.
  • Judaka

The person you refer to is almost certainly a troll and if not then he's just an idiot. Most topics here pretty much anyone can throw their hat into the ring and say what they think.
  • fishfry
    I understand the mandatory discerning nature of this forumOutlander

I see little evidence of such.
  • fdrake
    After all, a society is judged by how they treat the least of them.Outlander

Almost no one who should post in the introductory subforum would feel the need to post in the introductory subforum.
  • Brett

For those who are “wiser” why not just try a more considerate approach. It’s easy enough to take into account the number of posts people have made. And often people will make it clear that it’s their first OP. If one is so experienced in philosophy, if they live by their philosophy as so many suggest, then why not give the next person a hand up. What sort of philosophy is it that likes a boot in the face?

I don’t know what this forum says about “philosophers”. Too many posters here behave like thugs. As I’ve suggested before, more humility and curiosity is needed. But that seems to be regarded as a weakness here; never, ever, give in.
  • Kenosha Kid
    I haven't been here very long, so all of my experience is recent. I don't see a correlation between experience and bullying behaviour. The stalwarts are mostly patient and helpful, or else just ignore you. I see a correlation between the weakness of the bully's argument and bullying behaviour, whether said bully is new or experienced. I think the worst case I've seen is of an theist bullying a different theist in a manner that made me wonder what the community guidelines here actually mean. [Edited as inaccurate.]

I think a safe space for newbs would just result in less intelligent bullying by other newbs if I'm honest.
  • Outlander
    I'd like to add maybe either there can be two or more types of accounts with varying restrictions.

No not everyone you will come across here will be a rocket scientist or without their own unchecked logical fallacies. Last I checked life was a journey not a destination. You don't arrest or remove someone because they argue poorly. Perhaps you can. But it shouldn't take nearly 3,000 iterations to realize it. If you had a problem with their logic it should have come up then not "coincidentally" after a concept you reject.

So yeah. Maybe brand new accounts or posters "not quite up to par" or whatever can have somewhat of a restricted account. One discussion a day or every few days or week or whatever, available to all, selectively or not. Perhaps after some form of open voting or "accepted answers" it can be upgraded/restored. Maybe a higher account level needs at least one accepted answer a week or month or something to keep it, I dunno.

Thoughts?
  • Hanover
    I don't like this idea, as the burden imposed on the staff here to prioritize the high volume of posts would be overwhelming, the objections from slighted posters would lead to all sorts of drama, and it would change the welcoming culture we have tried to cultivate into something elitist.

But should anyone wish to more kindly respond to a new poster who has made an elementary mistake or overlooked a well known bit of information by offering a helpful hand (as opposed to back handing them) that'd be much appreciated.
  • Athena
    Hanover, those are interesting considerations however I was attracted to this thread because I would like a less demanding experience appropriate for a learner.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment