• Benj96
    This question is a bit along the matrix line. But supposing you could "play" a reality and assign parameters to your experience in a virtual world, some may place themselves in a position to make great discoveries or travel to new planets, others may be kings, some perhaps will play out a life of fame and wealth, maybe totally based on satisfaction of desires etc.

Assuming you could be anyone or do anything living in a programmed world revolving around you
    Who wouldnt plug in? Who would live in the real world where they are more than likely the middle/working class majority left in a place with no investment or interest from others.

The problems I have with such a device is;
    a). If you know you have been plugged in the achievements become meaningless and staged. Theres no authenticity to your successes.
    b). If you dont know you are plugged in there is nothing to prevent the fear/anxiety of failure from taking over which ironically could be the very cause of ones downfall/ inability to reach your goal. And if your goal is inevitable regardless of how you behave then your reign, triumph or discoveries etc wouldnt make any sense and be rather ridiculous.

If you dont know you're plugged in then you might as well be living in the actual world outside the VR
  • Frank Apisa
    Benj96
    This question is a bit along the matrix line.
    Benj96

Sounds a bit more like "along the Ready Player One line.

I'll follow along.
  • Outlander
    a). If you know you have been plugged in the achievements become meaningless and staged. Theres no authenticity to your successes.Benj96

Not neccesarily. Pro gaming has become a billion dollar industry with nearly 7 billion hours spent this year just.. watching people sit in a chair and play video games. And those figures are just from professional "eSports" alone.
  • Benj96
    Not neccesarilyOutlander

True this does make sense. I mean even I when I play videogames can get invested in the levels etc. So would you reckon being believable enough everyone would just plug in for life?

See the issue I have is you know you are playing a game designed for you. After a while wouldnt you have the desire to go back to a world that isnt centred on you? Where you run the risk of dying even? Because in the game the lack of fear of death because you know its simply game over and you can pay for another round means you can get progressively more risky and your behaviour totally reckless despite never being like this in real life.

That may be seen as a positive for some people but I feel like I would het disenfranchised and that this self destructive behaviour based on the immortal nature of gaming would be harmful to me even if I were to stop playing and enter authentic society again.
  • Nils Loc

When VR (virtual reality) becomes realistic enough will anyone remain unplugged? — Benj96

It would depend entirely on the incentives/disincentives of being plugged in. What are they currently with respect to VR?

Has work been moved into a VR space and is now a requirement for maintaining basic economic needs? Or is VR just a luxury experience like video games that folks play in their spare time?

What about physical maintenance of the body? Can the body do its thing while its consciousness can play.

Has this world reached a state of sustainable providence by AI and robotic labor, such that folks are free to choose how to spend their time?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment