• Wheatley
    I see that my thread "Is Religion Annoying?" got deleted. I guess that my thread was very blunt, intolerant, perhaps a bit trollish (I'm sure the moderators will be glad to point out all the other problems). However I do see this kind of argument a lot, for example, @jamalrob posted "too much religion?" and religion will win in the end.

My question is, is it okay to be intolerant about religion on this forum?
  • Brett

It’s the intolerance that’s the tricky part.
  • Jamal
    It was low quality and unphilosophical.
  • Wheatley
    Who decides what is philosophy and what is not philosophy?
  • ernestm
    The good news is, they were discussing how the bible substantiates alien abductions on the radio today, instead of why religion is racist for depicting Jesus as a white person, which was a heated topic for several weeks. So things are definitely starting to return to normal.
  • Wheatley
    Who decides what is philosophy and what is not philosophy?Wheatley
    I already know the answer. Anything that isn't academic philosophy is not philosophy.
  • Pfhorrest
    The mods, obviously, but I think your actual question is "what are the criteria for philosophy?", and I think the answer to that is "is it just expressing an opinion or is it giving some kind of thoughtful reason why one viewpoint is more correct than another?"
  • Judaka

I don't think the term "annoying" is going to be taken seriously as philosophy.
  • Wheatley
    That's not my problem. I believe "annoying" is accurate, and it doesn't matter how vulgar you think that word is.
  • Olivier5
    It's not a matter of vulgarity, because "annoyed"is not vulgar. The fact that you are annoyed is a psychological fact, a fact about you as a person, not about religion as an institution. If you want to phrase it philosophically it would be more like "Is religion on the whole positive or negative for mankind?" Something speaking more to the universal than to your own mental state.
  • Wheatley
    That makes sense.
  • Wheatley
    If you want to phrase it philosophically it would be more like "Is religion on the whole positive or negative for mankind?"Olivier5
    Perhaps another time. The quarantine is getting to me.
  • Olivier5
    It's been more than two months for me now (Italy).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.