• Josh Lee
    Consumerism culture is always pictured as mindless zombies buying items. This can be seen in the movie Fight Club and how the narrator talk about his life.

As consumerism is a recent issue, most philosophers in the past didn’t discuss much about it, at most some criticised capitalism which is the roots of consumerism. There’s also a few philosophies which discuss detachment to materialistic objects and others which believe materialistic items are meaningless. Hedonism may be the only philosophy that may support consumerism since buying stuff makes you happy.

I’m curious to find out the views on consumerism from different philosophical backgrounds and your take on consumerism. Thanks!
  • TheMadFool
    Hedonism may be the only philosophy that may support consumerism since buying stuff makes you happy.Josh Lee

I was under the impression that Hedonism is more sophisticated than that. Hedonism isn't just about happiness per se. It's about, what I feel is, particular kinds of happiness, kinds which may exclude consumerism as a consequence. I'm not sure about this though.
  • unenlightened
    Consumerism culture is always pictured as mindless zombies buying items.Josh Lee

How about "addicts getting a fix", as more realistic analogy.

https://www.psychguides.com/behavioral-disorders/shopping-addiction/

Hedonism does not recommend addiction.

'Lockdown' provides me some insight here. Personally I have really enjoyed it, being able to cross the road, hearing birdsong again, neighbours looking out for each other, and so on. Other people have been so desperate as to go looking for a black-market haircut. Conspicuous consumption used to be the privilege of the few, and a status symbol. The last century has almost reversed this, and the minimalist is the new cultural hero.
  • TheMadFool
    'Lockdown' provides me some insight here. Personally I have really enjoyed it, being able to cross the road, hearing birdsong again, neighbours looking out for each other, and so on. Other people have been so desperate as to go looking for a black-market haircut. Conspicuous consumption used to be the privilege of the few, and a status symbol. The last century has almost reversed this, and the minimalist is the new cultural hero.unenlightened

What, in your opinion, is the reason behind this shift in mindset, assuming of course that people have shifted gears from conspicuous consumption towards the philosophy of less is more? Does it reflect, in any way, progress in the sense it bespeaks wisdom on our part or is it like most things human - just a fad, liable to come to a close as quickly as it caught on?
  • unenlightened
    What, in your opinion, is the reason behind this shift in mindset, assuming of course that people have shifted gears from conspicuous consumption towards the philosophy of less is more?TheMadFool

I think it's simply the way the upper class takes pains to distinguish itself from the hoi-poloi. The peasants are consuming, therefore we will diet. Thus fashion; darling the folk always wear last year's thing, haven't you noticed?
  • creativesoul
    I think it's simply the way the upper class takes pains to distinguish itself from the hoi-poloi. The peasants are consuming, therefore we will diet. Thus fashion; darling the folk always wear last year's thing, haven't you noticed?unenlightened

The sheer number of fashion shows exemplify this shallowness... while simultaneously devaluing another based upon something other than their character. American culture has glorified such for so long. It is of no real surprise that the likes of Trump attained the presidency. He's a symptom.
  • creativesoul
    The last century has almost reversed this, and the minimalist is the new cultural hero.unenlightened

Others had no choice but to be minimalists. Made fun of for being poor, as if it was all up to them...

What we're seeing in this regard is a revisitation of personal, familial, and finally... cultural values.

Hopefully one day soon...

Quality will be of utmost importance in the minds of more people... Surely there are enough people that have been taken advantage of with business malpractices resulting in shoddy unreliable products made from inferior materials and all at a huge cost to the consumers' own pocketbooks in more ways than that!
  • Josh Lee

I was under the impression that Hedonism is more sophisticated than that. Hedonism isn't just about happiness per se. It's about, what I feel is, particular kinds of happiness, kinds which may exclude consumerism as a consequence. I'm not sure about this though.TheMadFool

From what I understand, Hedonism is just pursuing pleasure. To some consuming materialistic stuff or sometimes food does give you a dopamine hit and hence there’s a sense of reward and pleasure. Not sure whether there’s a deeper meaning in hedonism but this is roughly what I understand.
  • Josh Lee

How about "addicts getting a fix", as more realistic analogy.unenlightened
    I don’t think this is also a correct analogy, as consumerism is briefly one finding purpose and happiness in acquiring consumers goods. But I do see the similarities, between them. They do have a lot in common with shopping addicts.

I think it's simply the way the upper class takes pains to distinguish itself from the hoi-poloi.unenlightened
    That’s one way to look at it, the rich pride themselves of the extravagant luxuries. However from societal view, the rich somewhat do whatever they want, while those with lesser money try to keep up appearances. Those poorer try to acquire consumer goods like the rich hence that’s why most people end up in debt. So I understand the consumerism behaviour somewhat is an effect where the poor try to obtain respect and power by having something to show for.
  • Josh Lee

The sheer number of fashion shows exemplify this shallowness... while simultaneously devaluing another based upon something other than their character. American culture has glorified such for so long. It is of no real surprise that the likes of Trump attained the presidency. He's a symptom.creativesoul
    Haha with Covid 19 around, there won’t be any. On a serious note, you can look at fashion as one’s own expression of their identity or character as those do affect one's fashion choice. However, I do agree that society as a whole has become shallow by just priding themselves with consumption of goods. I would say consumerism is somewhat a distraction from the pains of life.

Others had no choice but to be minimalists. Made fun of for being poor, as if it was all up to them...creativesoul
    Not really, with the upcoming fast fashion brands, clothing has never been cheaper to throw you money on. But there are other aspects to minimalism than simply cost savings.

What we're seeing in this regard is a revisitation of personal, familial, and finally... cultural values.creativesoul
    Yes I agree that now some people have realisations that their consumerism behaviour is somewhat toxic and decided to drop the rat race.

Quality will be of utmost importance in the minds of more people... Surely there are enough people that have been taken advantage of with business malpractices resulting in shoddy unreliable products made from inferior materials and all at a huge cost to the consumers' own pocketbooks in more ways than that!creativesoul
    I acknowledge that this may be a future trend as they commonly say vote with your money, hence big brands are trying to adopt good practices to increase their brand popularity. Personally I don’t really care much of quality or quantity, if it’s a shirt it’s a shirt, I see no meaning in comparing a $100 one or $10. Both just covers my body, does it really matter if things have differences here and there.
  • nerdygolphin
    You're now thinking about food. Hey...this is entirely thread related...so...uhhh...egg sandwich.
  • BitconnectCarlos

As consumerism is a recent issue, most philosophers in the past didn’t discuss much about it, at most some criticised capitalism which is the roots of consumerism.

The roots of consumerism (i.e. an obsession with purchasing and material things often as a means of status signaling) is as old as time. It's a part of human nature and we can see it in antiquity well before capitalism was remotely a thing. Capitalism just allowed people to indulge it a little better given capitalism's propensity to create and encourage wealth creation.
  • Outlander

Consumerism, and though I largely get the idea I did Google it, meaning protection and promotion of the interests of the consumer. Before I did so Id've said it could have a few definitions or meanings rather. Two extremes, polarized, respectively. The idea of simply being able to buy and sell goods or otherwise the system of having literally anything physical that's not owned by the state. Or. Where it's essentially synonymous to materialism. Basically where it comes close to something along the lines of the only point of living is to get more stuff (non essentials). Which can deny one of some of lifes greatest true pleasures. And perhaps then some.

I'd say my view is somewhere in the middle and the actual definition sums it up nicely.

It's nice to see some of the amazing things there are to buy in the modern world. The crazy cars, the mansions, that tricked out PC setup, jewelry, watches, all that. Unfortunately or not it's the best motivator. For honest hard work.. and of course other types as well..

I'd say there are two kinds of people who want to be rich. Those who want to live like a king, and those who want to treat others as such. There's a bit of irony there for the more refined.
  • Mikie

I think you touched on it: the analysis of capitalism. So probably Marx being an important read.
  • Josh Lee

Ah i see. I get your point, what I meant to say was consumerism is now more common I guess, and this is due to capitalism etc, where consuming items are more convenient which then exacerbates the issue.
  • Josh Lee

I think you touched on it: the analysis of capitalism. So probably Marx being an important read.Xtrix

Not quite sure about this, but Marxism mainly criticised capitalism and not consumerism, but there are some overlaps.
  • Pfhorrest
    Chomsky's work on mass media manipulating public desire ("Manufacturing Consent") is probably relevant here.
  • Josh Lee

Quite balanced approach, from what I’ve read u understand the benefits that items bring, but acknowledge that there are vices that come with excessive consumption.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing, what’s your philosophical stance, to help me better understand the view you’re taking this from.
  • Josh Lee

If you have read it, could you give a brief summary? Have quite a lot of readings to do, will try to squeeze this in sometime.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.