• Vessuvius
    It is clear that the question of 'Race', however which-way it may be defined, has assumed center-stage; I argue that its usage, as a means to describe, either in thought, or in dialogue, serves to invite further show of prejudice, notwithstanding the fact that its notion is physically meaningless((it has since been substituted entirely, within academia, by those terms which are far more particular in their meanings, and further lack the many connotations, rooted in the historicity of the discriminate, that it carries)), despite holding sway over our institutions, and contributing to the social development, and regression, of our society as a whole.

This seems to me apparent, for the reason that it forces introduction of a quality of 'otherness', between those whose own appearances lead them to 'belong' within the confines of disparate groups, and forms of categorization, which emphasizes explicitly, and by intent, those differences which thus exist among us. This, causes one to disconsider outright, the similarities which are shared, and mutually found; what hopes, what fears, what ambitions we entertain as one, and aspire to, fade from view as there erodes our every sense of commonality, of recognition that we do indeed belong to the SAME kind, regardless of choice, or what traits of character had been conferred at birth, to each of us.

Unfortunately, it remains true also that the vices of our age have grown in strength, and acceptance; to descend toward a mentality, a course of judgment that is of the tribal-type, is encouraged; to commit ourselves to the idea that lasting harmony and mere cohesion are indistinct, is commonplace((this latter point is truest in any region in particular, that at an earlier time had undergone, or is otherwise in the process of undergoing, Gentrification; hereby, there often is provided rise to an atmosphere of resentment, and distrust, lying beneath the surface, and between most, if not all of those involved, which nonetheless is left unrealized by the majority of whom)); that to act out of spite, and hatred, is rendered just by past grievances, both real and imagined, and that those bearing fault for past hardship, if it occurred, deserve not equal punishment, and reproach, in accordance with the severity of their crime, but suffering, and that likewise, those associated with them, ought to suffer for a crime which they themselves didn't necessarily perpetrate.

That tensions have at last come to the fore, is an expected outcome, when those in positions through which there be afforded much power accord with a deafness toward the cries of the oppressed, and the downtrodden; seeking to offer empty promises of renewal, of a desire to challenge the existing injustices that are perpetuated by a normalization of things, of the injustice itself, that in practice, seldom materialize in the end, and give way instead to a consequent shunning of the need for reform. Few events in our nation's history have been as momentous, and as significant, as what is faced. We now dance at the edge of a precipice, beyond which there is occupied darkness and nothing more, and a gust of pure wind is enough to ensure our fall into the depths below. I fear we have already taken that essential step. Hope that we don't fall far.
  • Outlander

While I agree with a fair amount of what you posted, I think. It'd be a bit like coming to the conclusion that you can't judge a book by its cover... after burning or otherwise damaging those with covers that didn't quite tickle your fancy.

There are serious problems in society. Some that a few thought-provoking philosophical arguments unfortunately can't quite address I'm afraid.

I agree what has been happening is not only not the right solution but counterproductive to all.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.