• Jeremiah
    . . . .when you are super tired, but your body just won't go to sleep.
  • Marchesk
    Yes, it's like your brain and your body have different ideas.
  • 0 thru 9
    Some diluted lavender essential oil sprayed around, some chamomile, kava, or melatonin while listening to some psychill music mix on YouTube and im usually out for the night. But yes... insomnia is like torture, even if it's only one night. When you got a long day ahead of you it is even worse. :-d
  • intrapersona
    0thru9 has it there, try going to bed 2 hours earlier, take some valerian or melatonin and listen to something very monotonous like a lecture on chemistry of feynman's physics classes or even very calm music.
  • Jeremiah
    I can't sleep with music on, it is far to distracting. Sometimes sleeping on the floor helps, but sometimes it is just a struggle to go to sleep.
  • Nils Loc
    There is a secondary circadian clock which is regulated by digestion, so you probably don't want to eat too late. Limit your eating window to 8 hrs as a matter of habit.

Take a hot epsom salt bath before bed.
  • Hanover
    Stare at the ceiling and ruminate upon those critical lifetime decisions and ask yourself what might have been had you only done otherwise. Finally drift off into a timid slumber of regret and awake to an overcast day of lethargy. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Baden
    For some reason I read that first as "Stare at the ceiling and urinate..." and I was pretty sure that wouldn't work. Reading it again hasn't changed my opinion much.
  • Hanover
    Spell check changed it to ruminate from defecate. Same opinion?
  • Baden
    Hm, throw a colostomy bag into the equation and we might have something.
  • dukkha
    Doxylamine works for me when I can't sleep, better than most prescription sleeping meds I've tried.
  • intrapersona
    Stare at the ceiling and ruminate upon those critical lifetime decisions and ask yourself what might have been had you only done otherwise. Finally drift off into a timid slumber of regret and awake to an overcast day of lethargy. Lather, rinse, repeat.Hanover

The foundations for a meaningful existence right there!
  • _db
    If I've learned anything truly useful in college it's that coffee doesn't give you energy, it just keeps you from falling asleep.
  • Jeremiah
    I don't like using any type of chemical sleeping aids. I always wake up feeling tried and with a headache. I don't know if my sleep cycles exactly fit the standard 7 - 8 hours, as I sleep for about five hours a night. Five hours is just right for me, and I think sleeping aids make me oversleep.
  • Jeremiah
    I have been sleeping on the floor that last few nights, and it has seemed to help. I think my back gets stressed by sleeping on a mattress, which may be the reason I have problems sleeping sometimes. Sleeping on the floor gives my back firm support and the rest it needs. After a few days of sleeping on the floor my back feels great.
  • Emptyheady
    Exercise. Go fight some gravity and increase your heart rate.
  • Jeremiah
    5:09 AM no sleep, ugh.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.