• ernestm
    A student asked if I'd pay her for virtual sex to raise money for her law degree. Is that ethical, do you think?
  • jgill
    Did you mean virtuous sex? It may not be ethical, but the irony is pleasing. :smile:
  • Outlander
    A student? Meaning you're a teacher? If this is the kind of questions teachers these days are wondering, whatever diploma mill you got your certs from needs to be shut down.

The only remotely ethical argument that can be made is any man who would pay for something you can watch or essentially experience for free would've- somehow- inevitably wasted it on stupider things anyway.

Sorry I lost focus for a moment. Two questions. Is prostitution ethical? Rather is it unethical? If so, does using the money for something that benefits society as a whole redeem it? Prostitution spreads disease, cheapens a society and a people, and nine times out of ten makes for quite a few disappointed family members.
  • TheMadFool
    A student asked if I'd pay her for virtual sex to raise money for her law degree. Is that ethical, do you think?ernestm

What's the alternative? Marriage? What is marriage but a contract wherein a man agrees, in the traditional sense of wedlock, to finance a woman's wants? Too cynical for your taste? Diamonds are a girl's best friend. :chin:
  • Benkei
    Depends on your relationship with her.
  • GTTRPNK
    Your title and the content look like 2 different questions/issues. I don't believe prostitution is unethical. I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual sex" but I don't believe any cam girl stuff is unethical. If you're both consenting adults, do whatever you like. Being your student shouldn't really matter, unless it becomes an interference in the classroom.
  • unenlightened
    A student asked if I'd pay her for virtual sex to raise money for her law degree. Is that ethical, do you think?ernestm

No. It is immoral to charge students for education.
  • tim wood
    What is virtual sex and why would anyone pay for it? Especially enough for an academic degree?
  • ernestm
    Apparently quite a few people here do, because some of the girls asking money for it have been 18 for years.
  • Relativist
    Apparently quite a few people here do, because some of the girls asking money for it have been 18 for years.ernestm
    This answers your question about whether or not its ethical: of course it's ethical, since it will keep her perpetually young.
  • praxis

I guess it depends at least in part on how good she is at virtual sex, as well as how good virtual sex is, for that matter.
  • praxis

There's the moral issue of objectifying women.
  • fishfry

If you ask a woman out, buy her dinner, and have sex with her, that's a date. If you ask a woman out, have sex with her, and give her money so she can buy her own dinner, that's a crime!
  • GTTRPNK
    I'm not disagreeing that there is an issue with that in society. I don't think that one particularly applies here, however. I think the actual ethical dilemma is the student-teacher power dynamic. If she wants to be objectified, that's her thing and she gets to do that. But if he, as her teacher, engages in that way, there is an imbalance of power and that could have rather dire consequences.
  • fdrake

Phonesex with webcam/wanking together over webcam.
    Alternatively people writing personalised erotica in emotes while wanking, like love letters with read receipts.
  • tim wood
    Ty. *sigh* I really am a dinosaur. Thought provoking, though - the dangers of fast food both as sustenance and philosophy.
  • SkOwl
    Hi everyone
    Well...
    A student asked if I'd pay her for virtual sex to raise money for her law degree. Is that ethical, do you think?
    @ernestm

Does it really matter? She gets the money for the degree. Nobody from university will ever ask her, where she gets her money. Well, there is interesting point, that she needs to use her body to "make her brain better".
    The ethical question, I suppose, is question of a student for her teacher. Another one, if she agree with "selling her body" for a diploma. Some kind of machiavellism, I suppose.
  • ernestm
    Well, thats why there are 'peaceful demonstrations' about a policeman killing someone by mistake while gangs loot private businesses in this country. Do the 'peaceful demonstrations' try to stop the looting? No, that's not their problem, they say, they take no moral responsibility for anything except a paycheck, as far as I can tell, and she is just another like them, according to you.
  • SkOwl

Alora. Yes, I agree with you. But, if you want to take it as fundamental (I hope I used the right word - sorry, I am not english-native speaking), it doesn´t matter for paying something how you get the money. You have something to pay, you pay it. But, the reasons, the options, the methods of earning these money are questions of a morality or ethics.
  • GTTRPNK
    Someone can choose that line of work without there being objectification.
  • GTTRPNK
    Well, the example given is the student asking for the teacher to support them, so I don't think ethics really comes into this situation, with regards to objectification. So you've taken it from "Is this ethical?" To "Is objectivification ethical?" when I don't believe it must be necessarily objectification.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.