• Enrique
    What is the relationship between abstract, symbolic and technical thinking? It seems obvious that significant overlap and some universality exists, but the form of thought being employed at the same time varies a lot by context. Any of you philosophers have some insight about how to define and classify these concepts?
  • tim wood
    How about just some ordinary thinking. Try it. how would you go about classifying them? Might you not start by trying to create some tentative understandings of the terms you're using? Then maybe similarities and differences? And so forth?
  • Enrique

Not sure where to even begin, which is why I stated the issue in such a nonspecific way. I guess to hone in on the crux of the matter: how do we define "abstract" vs. "symbolic" vs. "technical" concepts?
  • tim wood
    Not we, you. And where to begin, as with any endeavor, is at the beginning. There's research, what have other people said - and maybe even the dictionary. And there's brainstorming - a blank and unlined piece of paper upon which you record whatever thoughts you might have and let them have free rein as you record.

That's part of thinking. The 98% perspiration part while you look for the 2% inspiration.

Two points: presumably your effort has meaning, and presumably it has meaning to and for you - two different things. Only you can answer for the latter part, and you can make no progress until that latter part is filled in.
  • Enrique

I suppose I'm ideally looking for a partial synopsis of what recent philosophy has argued, some kind of brief reference to current consensus or demarcation of the topic.

The dictionary says abstractions are thoughts or ideas that do not have a physically concrete existence. Symbols are languagelike or material representations of ideas. "Technical" is defined as the constituent characteristics and techniques of a subject, art or craft.

You or anyone know of some theoretical or experiential angle clarifying how symbols participate in the interaction between abstract ideation and its instantiation in technical practice, either generally or within specific domains like communications, formal logic, math, scientific modeling or philosophical justification for instance? Even armchair or informal speculating is welcome, a perspective with any degree of focus to give me some traction on objectivity.

A real world example of how the language game concept applies might be helpful.
  • jgill
    In mathematics one learns the concept underlying a symbol, then develops a skill for manipulating it. I once read of a prominent mathematician saying that the most valuable competency he had acquired was how to mechanically manipulate elementary calculus as if without thinking.
  • 180 Proof
    What is the relationship between abstract, symbolic and technical thinking?Enrique
    Deductive manipulation-substitution (i.e. syntactics) of tautologies. Much more calculating (i.e. computational) than "thinking" (i.e. reflective).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment