• Pfhorrest
    If the question could reasonably be interpreted as asking for an interrogative word them sure, “what” would be a good answer, but I don’t see how it could be interpreted that way.

The list of interrogative words and their answers I gave as a hint was meant to suggest “What? This (or that).” And thus a self-referential demonstrative (“this (sentence)”) in answer to self-referential interrogative (“this question”).
  • Outlander

So it was answered and that answer was "this is the answer to the question."?
  • Outlander

If you'd like, or are bored or something, word by word. Why is that exact sentence the correct answer?

I'd have said it's just saying any answer is the right answer simply because it is being answered.

Apparently 'this' is the key word here?
  • Pfhorrest
    It doesn’t have to be that exact sentence (I actually had in mind a slightly different one), but it’s the “this” that sells it, yeah. The idea is that the original question is an empty infinite loop of self-reference in the form of a question. So the answer to that is an empty infinite loop of self reference in the form of an answer.

Basically, the answer to “...?” is just “....”.

“This is the answer to that question.” was my exact version, but things like “This is the answer.” or “This is.” or even just “This.” all have basically the same meaning in context and so are acceptable.
  • Outlander
    Of all the things I've been through in life I think this is the time I'd ask for a time machine so I could go back to a time before this thread.
  • Sir2u
    That makes three of us, you and me too.

Maybe if I had written "the answer to this question is yes" it would have been correct.
    But the mind boggles at such profound levels of thinking.
  • Pfhorrest
    Maybe if I had written "the answer to this question is yes" it would have been correct.Sir2u

Nope. Guess you still don’t get it.
  • Agent Smith
    What! :snicker:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.