• Outlander
    Not your elementary one either. The premise is simple. Come up with a word that is audibly identical to two or more other words (or one as an abstract compound word) and use them in a sentence.

Here is the point system in ascending order.

- Using non-base words that are the base word literally split are only half a point. For example a "car pet" soiling a "carpet".

- A single use of non-base (or secondary) words are 1 point. For example, describing how a prison cellmate hogging his "cell fish" is "selfish".

- A double use of typographically unique secondary words is 5 points. For example stating how -according to some hypothetical contract- according to the "clause it" states say your gardening "claws sit" in the "closet".

- A single use of three secondary words is worth 10 points. For example if you could somehow use "man you all" in a sentence with "manual".

- A double use of three typographically unique sets of secondary words is worth... let's say 50. And I will donate $50 to you or PF. Doubt it can be done. Also I may or may not donate nothing if you insist on it be to you. Then again I probably would if it's not a cheap one.

I'll start.

"These days, whether you have a moat or a car, it needs a motor.

1 point
  • Fluke
    To try fling a trifle is trifling. ?
  • Amity
    'Alone at home, oh fone a lone homophone !'
    :chin:
  • Fluke
    This is the digital version of the digit Al is waving
  • Fluke
    The cheery cherry was cherry, cherry red and full of sherry. ( :brow: )
  • Outlander

Whoops. Forgot to mention the secondary words must sound identical to the base word when pronounced together and must be used sequentially one after the other, together! @Amity gets it.

Kind of a dumb game I guess. But hey $50. :D
  • Amity
    Amity gets it.Outlander

Yay :party:
  • Braindead
    Lackadaisical I was, ‘leven days ago.
  • Michael
    - A double use of three typographically unique sets of secondary words is worth... let's say 50. And I will donate $50 to you or PF. Doubt it can be done. Also I may or may not donate nothing if you insist on it be to you. Then again I probably would if it's not a cheap one.Outlander

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
  • Outlander

It kind of also has to be coherent.

I suppose that quote wasn't. Basically doing the thing that I said is worth 10 points but instead of a single use it has to be two, the second one being different (uses of?) words but still sounding the same as the base word and first use. Basically a total of three homophones, one being a single base word, and two being three words each all verbally identical when pronounced. I literally can't even think of any possible examples. Hence the wager. :D
  • Michael
    It kind of also has to be coherent.Outlander

It is coherent.

The sentence employs three distinct meanings of the word buffalo:

1. as a proper noun to refer to a specific place named Buffalo, the city of Buffalo, New York, being the most notable;
    2. as a verb (uncommon in regular usage) to buffalo, meaning "to bully, harass, or intimidate" or "to baffle"; and
    3. as a noun to refer to the animal, bison (often called buffalo in North America). The plural is also buffalo.

An expanded form of the sentence which preserves the original word order is: "Buffalo bison, that other Buffalo bison bully, also bully Buffalo bison."
  • Outlander

Dang. You didn't just make that page did you? XD

Wow. That's.. pretty neat. Naturally I plan to be a subscriber as I love this site but of course seeing as the majority of repeat posters here are.. very intelligent, so one could assume the admin is as well, there should be no shortage that is to say urgency for funding.

Nevertheless I'm impressed and have to double check whatever I said that are rules but, yeah. Dang.
  • Fluke
    Yeah, to be fair I wasn't sure how much that would count. Seem to think that would be close with the right accent and sobriety level.
  • Sir2u
    Spam spams spam
  • Outlander
    "I found my old toy cabinet but discovered there was only a toy cab in it."

Eh. I guess technically that would be 10 points but between the fact it's basically the base word split and mostly.. I forget what you call those. Pronouns or something? I, me, you, it, etc. Whatever those are.

Say 5 points
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.