• Shawn
    Only if it means Trump might not get reelected.Hanover

He's throwing a party every damm day in the White House. I heard they're out of presents, and he's asking Homeland for the keys the the House. What's going on? Derp.
  • Shawn
    The NSA won't comply, and he's telling them fuck off.
  • Shawn
    They have all the keys BTW:

ctm_0115_NSA_640x360.jpg
  • unenlightened
    A horse doesn't care...Shawn

This is about the only question that psychology has given a clear and unambiguous answer to. If you want an obedient docile horse, or dog, or child, rewarding good behaviour outperforms punishing bad behaviour by a huge margin.

But more so with highly social apes and especially humans, learning takes place by imitation. So violent punishing parents bring up their kids to be violent punishers. Monkey see, monkey do.

The idea that society will collapse without punishment comes from those punished punishers who cannot conceive that anyone would cooperate without a background of fear and threat. And it is still a dominant attitude unfortunately. One has to prevent violent people from hurting others and so perhaps they must be forcibly restrained behind bars, and in the same way one has to forcibly restrain a child that does not know better from running into the road. But punishment is a waste of time in every case. One cannot teach or enforce cooperation by means of coercion.
  • Shawn
    One cannot teach or enforce cooperation by means of coercion.unenlightened

Oh my fucking God. I have seen things and this is one of them.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.