• aRealidealist
    So you advise to teach children no rules for behavior & interaction? They should simply just act how they wish without any correction or consequence? As another person has already said, seems like you’re pushing for anarchy, which would create as much oppression or chaos, the physically strong ruling over the weak type of a scenario, as you claim that contractualism leads to.
  • Shawn
    So you advise to teach children no rules for behavior & interaction? They should simply just act how they wish without any correction or consequence? As another person has already said, seems like you’re pushing for anarchy, which would create as much oppression or chaos, the physically strong ruling over the weak type of scenario, as you claim that contractualism leads to.aRealidealist

Not at all. It seems to me that punishment entails, self-punishment and reprisal in fear at such a young age, that we could get by without the whole ordeal to start with.
  • Shawn
    What is anxiety, but, not a form of self-punishment? Fear in the extreme.
  • aRealidealist
    “that we could get by without the whole ordeal to start with.” — When have you known this to be the case, if ever at all? Or is this just something that you imagine?
  • ernestm
    Yet, the problem persists, and continues to persist. Should we just delve into some thought therapy, or hippocampus memory insertion?Shawn

Should we? omg! After a black gang shot my cat, and living in a very poor area at the time, the police just thought it funny. I have to say, I really wanted those kids in jail for life. Shooting at my house windows, that was another thing entirely. Thats up to me to defend myself. But shooting a pet cat, which has no defenses at all against it, that is beyond my ability to comprehend. Shock therapy, brain surgery, I dont know. Prison for life, definitely. What could a person do next after shooting my pet?

Im hoping you'll be aqble to tell me that with all the opinions you're learning, lol
  • Shawn
    When have you known this to be the case, if ever at all?aRealidealist

Scandinavia has one of the most lax crime system ever, and they don't get away with a lot, neither in terms of taxation. Here in the US, it's such fucking lunacy, that I am baffled and wondering if I should move to Sweden.
  • Shawn
    Should we? omg! After a black gang shot my cat, and living in a very poor area at thetime, the police just thought it funny. I have to say, I really wanted those kids in jail for life. Shooting at my house windows, that was another thing entirely. Thats up to me to defend myself. But shooting a pet cat, which has no defenses at all against it, that is beyond my ability to comprehend. Shock therapy, brain surgery, I dont know. Prison for life, definitely. What could a person do next after shooting my pet?ernestm

Oh my fucking God. Oh my fucking God!
  • Shawn
    I'm not talking about killing pet cats, fuck that shit.
  • ernestm
    I'm not talking about killing pet cats, fuck that shit.Shawn

ok.

I used to be totally against the death penalty. Well as you guess I like animals and anture and stuff. So when I read that some people broke into a zoo and killed two white rhinos so they could take their horns, I changed my mind. I wrote the state attorney general saying they should enforce the death penalty for that. And guess what, they put a sign up at the local zoo saying that the state considered poaching wild animals in a zoo so heinous a crime it could resultin any punishment up to and including the death penalty. I guess I spoke for the state on that one.

I think there's one of those white rhinos left in the entire world. One.
  • Shawn
    I think there's one of those white rhinos left in the entire world. One.ernestm

Yeah, people are repugnant. Some...
  • ernestm
    Yeah, people are repugnant. Some...Shawn

Well here's how I deal with it. I think there are several species that look exactly the same and can interbreed. I dont know if its genetic, or environmental, or what, but I just dont think of them as the same species as me any more. It did work, thinking that way. I started feeling good about being a human being again. That's the extent I had to go to it, personally, on this problem.
  • Shawn

Luckily, we still are homo sapiens, despite such variance in psychology and sociological traits.
  • Hanover
    Scandinavia has one of the most lax crime system ever, and they don't get away with a lot, neither in terms of taxation. Here in the US, it's such fucking lunacy, that I am baffled and wondering if I should move to Sweden.Shawn

This is the Swedish Fallacy, a logical fallacy I've discovered. It's the argument that since it works in Sweden, it can work anywhere. The truth is that everything works in Sweden. If they decided to turn their prisoners into legislators and to pay everyone to shit on the sidewalk, it would somehow increase the GNP.
  • Shawn
    This is the Swedish Fallacy, a logical fallacy I've discovered. It's the argument that since it works in Sweden, it can work anywhere. The truth is that everything works in Sweden. If they decided to turn their prisoners into legislators and to pay everyone to shit on the sidewalk, it would somehow increase the GNP.Hanover

How do you explain the fact that it works, Hanny? It's all documented, researched, and backed by the Swedish krona.
  • ernestm
    Luckily, we still are homo sapiens, despite such variance in psychology and sociological traits.Shawn

Well, not necessariily, havng studied psychology at Oxford, I can say having talked with Professor Richard Dawkins, author of "the selfish gene." There does APPEAR to be one speciies, even down to physiological structure; but there are differences in neural activity that divide Homo Sapiens into two main subspecies. Dawkins called them hawks and doves.
    • In order to function successfully as predators, the hawks mimic the behavior and appearance of doves, but have no compassion, empathy, or any capacity for experiencing higher emotion beyond physical and sexual gratification. Hawks are usually solitary, although sometimes they hunt in packs
    • The doves, on whom the hawks prey, have developed far more sophisticated mechanisms for even more than just higher emotions, because they enable more advanced ideas such as community support, knowledge sharing, and even training of hawks they have caught to work in packs and use in military conflicts.
    The problem is, the two subspecies are not clearly separated by biochemical genetics alone. The theory is that there is a higher-order "social gene" that exists within the subconscious constructs of our minds, rather than the purely "biochemical gene" that exists in physical mechanics. And he wrote a book about it. Its pretty interesting )
  • Shawn

Wow man, thanks for that! I used to think psycho and sociopaths have no utility; but, they do prey in solitary confinement. The US is in love with hawks and eagles.
  • ernestm
    The US is in love with hawks and eagles.Shawn

Yeah!
  • Shawn
    Yeah!ernestm

How do you explain that? Why the obsession with all these birds of prey?
  • Shawn
    How do you explain that? Why the obsession with all these birds of prey?Shawn

Are we like so insecure that we need these birds circling around all the time? Every national intelligence agency has some hawk in it in the US.
  • ernestm
    Are we like so insecure that we need these birds circling around all the time? Every national intelligence agency has some hawk in it in the US.Shawn

Well, the best explanation I think Ive heard is that its the best way to contain them. Its better than prison. It doesnt need to be hawks and doves. Thats just what he chose to call them.

There is another thing. On which one bases ratoinal hope! The hawks cannot outnumber the doves, or the community in which they are hiding collapses from self destruction. Because there are always more doves in total, the total community always advances slowly, albeit not linearly. Two steps forward, one step back )
  • Shawn

What about frogs? They kinda just ribbit, and hide from eagles and hawks. Hehe.
  • Shawn
    A horse doesn't care... @unenlightened
  • Hanover
    How do you explain the fact that it works, Hanny? It's all documented, researched, and backed by the Swedish krona.Shawn

Because their population is absurdly responsible and competent. Being a politician there is like coaching a team of all stars. They're going to win regardless of who's in charge.
  • Shawn
    Because their population is absurdly responsible and competent. Being a politician there is like coaching a team of all stars. They're going to win regardless of who's in charge.Hanover

Wow, Hanny, that's very nice of you. What the actual fuck is going on in the US currently?
  • Shawn
    I think the eagles in the US are fighting with the hawks. Poor FBI never had an eagle in its emblem and got swallowed up by Homeland.
  • ernestm
    They kinda just ribbit, and hide from eagles and hawks. Hehe.Shawn
    Maybe there's more divisions, yes, but it's the predator/prey relationship that dominates, as in nature. There's symbiotes too.

Anyway, I just wanted to share an idea why there is a rational reason to hope for social improvement, at least based on the Dawkins model. And Im glad to share it with you, espeically, for listening to my horror stories. Its more than most can do. Hope you have a nice day )
  • Shawn
    Hope you have a nice day.ernestm

Thank you Sir, and likewise.
  • Hanover
    Wow, Hanny, that's very nice of you. What the actual fuck is going on in the US currently?Shawn

Where I live, it's the same. Any pocket of affluence requires very little government oversight. Such is Sweden. If you have one homogenous class, no warfare.
  • Shawn
    Where I live, it's the same. Any pocket of affluence requires very little government oversight. Such is Sweden. If you have one homogenous class, no warfare.Hanover

I'm concerned about what's happening in US politics, aren't you?
  • Hanover
    I'm concerned about what's happening in US politics, aren't you?Shawn

Only if it means Trump might not get reelected.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.