• SophistiCat
    This is hilarious and touching. A Russian Facebook flash-mob group where people post their homemade recreations of (more-or-less) famous paintings:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/izoizolyacia/

(Изо / izo is the first syllable of the Russian word for fine arts.)

alena_nikolaenko_sikstinskaya_madonna_rafael_1512-1513g.jpg__1587555883__64677__vid398721e.jpg

henri_matisse_blue_nude._by_anastassia_lempert.jpg__1587556173__73407__vid398721e.jpg

varya_shetcel_gladilshchica_pablo_pikasso.jpg__1587556417__65843__vid398721e.jpg

tanya_hodova_kacusika_hokusay_bolshaya_volna_v_kanagave.jpg__1587556917__53518__vid398721e.jpg

izo_vrez2.jpg

7bae2384b036b2c4a90d17b7b001fa6d08dd4be9_824_549_c.jpg

5ec2ecb259a7b6a5e1d91daa55582dc0.jpg
  • Fluke
    More, to do with the Getty challenge Getty of course if you're not in the mood for societies social input at the moment you should probably not look. Also you may never want to see the portrait of the girl with a pearl earring again.
  • Jamal
    The painting of the pile of skulls is called "The Apotheosis of War" by Vasily Vereshchagin, sarcastically dedicated "to all great conquerors, past, present and to come". Recreating it with frozen dumplings for skulls is either sick or brilliant, or perhaps both.
  • SophistiCat
    More, to do with the Getty challengeFluke

I somehow missed that one, I just saw an article about the Russian group and didn't realize that it had a predecessor. I love these - if I wasn't fortunate to keep my job while in quarantine, I could browse them for hours.

The painting of the pile of skulls is called "The Apotheosis of War" by Vasily Vereshchagin, sarcastically dedicated "to all great conquerors, past, present and to come". Recreating it with frozen dumplings for skulls is either sick or brilliant, or perhaps both.jamalrob

Ah, I see you've done your homework while in Russia :) It's an iconic image, but somehow perhaps due to the historic remoteness or to its fastidious realist execution, it doesn't seem to have the same emotional impact as, say, the Guernica.
  • Jamal
    Ah, I see you've done your homework while in Russia :) It's an iconic image, but somehow perhaps due to the historic remoteness or to its fastidious realist execution, it doesn't seem to have the same emotional impact as, say, the Guernica.SophistiCat

Yes, I know what you mean. When I first saw it, at the Tretyakov Gallery, I was unmoved as I wandered past staring at it vacantly. Only later I realized, oh, wait a minute, that was a pile of human skulls being picked clean by crows, and I should have experienced it as a stunning indictment of war.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.