• Chester
    But look how poor N Korea is...their goods must not be as popular as you think. N Korea is kind of what China would become if we stopped buying their goods...full of bluster but totally impotent...sounds like a plan.
  • Frank Apisa
    Hanover
    I boycott all North Korean goods. Sure, it's difficult around Christmas when looking for that perfect gift, but it's the least I can do to de-fund their nuclear program.
    Hanover

Just wanna say: Great!

I love these kinds of things, Hanover. You aced it.
  • fdrake
    By the way, I'm not racist, I still enjoy a good Chinese take-away...Chester

I've heard that a lot growing up. Usually just after my friends were innocently calling the staff "chinkies".
  • NOS4A2

I've heard that a lot growing up. Usually just after my friends were innocently calling the staff "chinkies".

It’s probably a good idea to differentiate between the government of China and the Chinese people for that very reason, especially since the Chinese people are the greatest victims of the CCP. The rise in hate-crimes against the Chinese in light of the pandemic is stupid.
  • Baden

Exactly. Unfortunately, some are incapable on that score.
  • fdrake
    How does what I wrote in the OP correlate to what you wrote in your last post?Chester

You are talking about how the left are worse than you. Because they, allegedly, don't care in the right way about Chinese workers. And apparently you are not virtue signalling.

The left, who you are complaining about for not caring in the right way about Chinese workers. And they are virtue signalling.
  • deletedusercb
    Why don't the liberal left boycott goods manufactured by despotic regimes ?Chester
    I would guess for the same reasons the right doesn't boycott goods from despotic regimes: laziness, lack of time and energy to go about researching products and governments, selfishness, how hard it is to not support evil in some way or other, their dreams, desires and children, also playing roles in all this. I mean, the right should be just as interested in punishing non-democratic and harsh regimes, if the right believes in democracy and justice.
  • deletedusercb
    .the liberal left chooses to buy them whilst pretending to care about the poor and the planet.Chester
    People can do both those things. We are not binary machines. And often people care more about things that are close to them, even, say, poor in their own country. The right has gone to war to knock down tyrants, at least supposedly, and this was accepted as justification (for example when weapons of mass destruction were nowhere to be found). One would be seen as not patriotic if one didn't support the war in much of the right. It was a just war. But then those same right wing people would buy products that benefit bad regimes. Or look at the Left for being anti-american, for example, for criticizing US foreign policy and its effects on the poor and native groups in South America, where the US was actively intervening and helping dictators.

The best portion of your argument is that perhaps the Left tends to look more broadly when thinking morally. They want it to be good elsewhere, at least, also. Whereas the Right is often more focused at home. More self-focused. So this opens the Left up to more hypocrisy. Perhaps. But given that the US is acting in proxy all over the world, iow tax dollars are going everywhere, this often leads to responsibility taking on the Left that is less present on the right. Doesn't hurt us, isn't so important. The religious right has no leeway here since they are also focused internationally.

But does anyone boycott, I mean in significant numbers, anymore? Wouldn't this be a criticism of the former Left? even then, only sort of?

And should not caring at all about what one contributes to through purchases be considered a better position`? It requires no effort. It is consistant in its inaction and lack of care. So if someone does one thing intended to make things better but does not do this across the board, is this worse than not giving a shit at all?
  • Chester
    The world is more and more about trade so it only stands to reason that boycotts (on an individual or national level) have an ever greater potential for impact. The Chinese have used slave labour , environmental destruction and dumping cheap goods in a form of economic warfare.

The liberal left never say or act against China. You can argue that the right has empowered China too, but it is also the right that is now talking about action ...the left is silent, which is strange given how vocal they are about all the problems they accuse the West of...
  • Chester
    I now realise why the left does not insult China...it exemplifies what the want Europe to become...a post-democratic tie up between big authoritarian government (command economy) and big business...a form of fascism ...funny that they pretend fascism is the thing they hate most.
  • Chester
    This piece goes some way to explain how China is infiltrating Western institutions and threatening us . Imo, it won't be long before a cold war develops...China has already started down that road. A hot war could follow and I wouldn't put it beyond China to threaten the use of biological weapons in such a situation...it ain't like they haven't had practice.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/01/hesitating-demand-international-inquiry-china/
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.