• Frank Apisa
    When I was younger...MUCH YOUNGER...this was one of my favorite poems. It's by Richard Brautigan...and spoke volumes to that younger self. I accidentally came across it yesterday...and just wondered if it inspired any philosophical observations from the forum members.

I don’t know what it is,
    but I distrust myself
    when I start to like a girl
    a lot.

It makes me nervous.
    I don’t say the right things
    or perhaps I start
    to examine,
    evaluate,
    compute
    what I am saying.

If I say, “Do you think it’s going to rain?”
    and she says, “I don’t know,”
    I start thinking : Does she really like me?

In other words
    I get a little creepy.

A friend of mine once said,
    “It’s twenty times better to be friends
    with someone
    than it is to be in love with them.”

I think he’s right and besides,
    it’s raining somewhere, programming flowers
    and keeping snails happy.
    That’s all taken care of.

BUT

if a girl likes me a lot
    and starts getting real nervous
    and suddenly begins asking me funny questions
    and looks sad if I give the wrong answers
    and she says things like,
    “Do you think it’s going to rain?”
    and I say, “It beats me,”
    and she says, “Oh,”
    and looks a little sad
    at the clear blue California sky,
    I think : Thank God, it’s you, baby, this time
    instead of me.
  • Brett

I just happened to see this.

That aspect of getting to know someone on that level, which is generally regarded as some sort of fear of girls, seems to me to be about learning about, or experiencing, the anxiety of opening yourself up in ways you don’t generally do. It’s a very difficult game of treading carefully. Open up too much and you scare them, open up when they’re not ready or interested and you drown in your own clumsiness. But if you don’t try it nothing happens. How many give up too early or find it too frightening to confront themselves on that level or feel so hurt by the response they receive that they never repeat it or worse contrive and lie and deceive to get what they want. Friendship is relatively uncomplicated, generally it doesn’t expect that opening up at these deeper relationships. Opening up at the level this poem is talking about requires a real leap that offers rewards inconceivable until you do it. From a philosophical point of view it’s like believing in God; he won’t show himself until you make the first step of accepting him.

Edit: if you can’t love how can you be loved?
  • Frank Apisa
    Thank you. At my age (I'll be 84 in August)...I have no problems with this.

It is a lovely poem...and expresses some things I think need to be expressed.
  • Brett

and expresses some things I think need to be expressed.Frank Apisa

What are those things?

The poem seems to be referring to an experience of youth and if not youth then inexperience.

I guess in referring to your age you mean that you have no problem in opening up, that it’s something you’ve learned to understand or that experience has taught you.

But isn’t it always a new experience when you meet someone new? It’s just that so many of those moments happen when you’re younger, you’re compelled to meet people and become part of the world. Later in life that happens less often; because we don’t need people so much, because it gets too hard or because we have too many wounds?
  • Frank Apisa
    Not sure how old you are, but at 83, I have no trouble at all meeting new people. I have never been "compelled" to meet them...I just meet them. Up until the virus hit, I was working a couple days a week as a starter on a golf course...and met new people every day. I'm an avid golfer and meet new people on the course and in the club house every day.

My "wounds" are relatively few...and I've learned to put them behind me...to enjoy today and its joys.

Just enjoy the poem for it value as, "Thank god it is you not me."
  • Brett

Just enjoy the poem for it value as, "Thank god it is you not me."Frank Apisa

just wondered if it inspired any philosophical observations from the forum members.Frank Apisa

Well I was responding to this, but no matter.
  • Frank Apisa
    Well I was responding to this, but no matter.Brett

When I re-read my response, it sounded more curt than I meant it. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and value what you had to say.

Hope all is well with you. Stay safe. This coronavirus thing has most of us in a place where we'd rather not be.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.