• Mathias
    Do you think that mathematics is less a particular science than an instrument in the service of other sciences?
  • god must be atheist
    I think mathematics is a precision tool, a tool of refinement of terms in otherwise qualitative relationships, in the service to make the life of grade 6 and of second-year sociology students into living hell.
  • Mathias
    And do you think that math are a particular science itself or it is a tool and an instrument for others sciences sake?
  • god must be atheist
    And do you think that math are a particular science itself or it is a tool and an instrument for others sciences sake?Mathias

Mathias, this topic has been done to death on this site. Several threads have been dedicated to this.

But if you like, I'll get the ball rolling... seeing you are new, we ought to humour you. So please consider this declaration (and then I leave this thread, it's your baby from here on) :

Math is not a particular science in itself, it is rather a toool and and instrument employed by scientists and by non-scientists alike.
  • Mathias
    I would like to know where i can find the articles that has tackled this topic
  • TheMadFool
    Do you think that mathematics is less a particular science than an instrument in the service of other sciences?Mathias

I take the position that math is the language in which the laws of the universe are formulated. Granted that pure math, as distinguished from applied math, is a discipline all of its own, we still have to wonder at the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in the natural sciences. The phrase "unreasonable effectiveness" says it all: it seems unlikely that math's utility is a coincidence.

So, math, rather than an "instrument in the service of other sciences", is, for me, the true form of the laws of nature. Analogically, math in science is more of a decipherment of the language in which nature's laws are laid down than a tool used in that decipherment.
  • god must be atheist
    I would like to know where i can find the articles that has tackled this topicMathias
    Please locate the search box on the upper right. type in Math. it will give you a "hits" screen; with an option of "titles only". pick titles only, and repeat the search. You can use of course any term, and I encourage you to be intuitive in getting the returns you wish for as per your desire. Your specs for your search ought to express your desires.
  • Wayfarer
    Do you think that mathematics is less a particular science than an instrument in the service of other sciences?Mathias

Not so much an instrument as foundational to science. All the branches of science depend on mathematical reasoning.
  • Janus
    Quantification, and hence mathematics, is foundational to science. Mathematics is also considered to be a science in its own right, but it does not seem to fit the criteria to count as an empirical science, except under the most radical interpretation of the concept 'empirical'.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.