• Benkei
    Yeah...that's about it.

Atheists think that what they "believe" and how they "believe" it...

...is much better than what theists "believe" and how they "believe" it.

And then atheists try to sell the idea that atheists are not "believers."

Two sides of one coin!
    Frank Apisa

So people who believe in unicorns and those who don't are two sides of the same coin? The available proof for unicorns and an Abrahamic God are more or less equal, lots of mentions in books and story telling.
  • Amalac
    Atheism is not a belief, anymore than baldness is a hair style, in my opinion.
  • Amalac
    The way I see the matter: There are some people who claim that God exists, and believe that God exists, and then there are other people who simply don't believe in that claim which the others make.
    Not believing X≠ Believing ¬X

And it is not the case that one must either believe X or ¬X, for instance: just because I don't believe that the exact number of stars in the milky way is even, that does not mean I believe that it is odd. In this case, I believe neither claim and suspend judgement, since I have no way of knowing one way or the other.
  • ToothyMaw

For many atheists, however, who are not connoisseurs of fine philosophy, atheism is the denial of the existence of god, even if the more educated ones might describe it as a lack of belief identical to what you outline. In fact - most have no idea what
    ¬XAmalac
    even means. But yeah, you are right on. :point:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.