• Shawn

And, what about lazy questions are so bad?

You mods need to loosen up or something before Michael goes bonkers again...
  • Baden

You need to tighten up before you go bonkers. Qualify yourself for something. Get a job. I believe @Hanover gives live-in courses in ambulance chasing. He's in Atlanta. You can get there by Greyhound. Do it.
  • Shawn

I don't want anyone to take responsibility over a nutcase anymore. One visit in a psych ward in a shitty neighborhood was more than enough to break me down and make me go loony.

*slowly heals*
  • Baden

Foiled again.
  • Shawn

It's all been self inflicted my man. But, I'm playing it safe from now on.
  • Baden

Yes, better stay away from Hansover anyway unless you like the view from under the floorboards.
  • Shawn

Stop scaring the children.
  • Michael
    You mods need to loosen up or something before Michael goes bonkers again...Shawn

When did I go bonkers?
  • Shawn

I'm not your therapist.
  • god must be atheist
    Or in other words, there doesn't seem to be some hard limit imposed on the field of philosophy in regards to question asking of a nonsensical order, or not?Shawn

There are several SEMANTIC errors here; it is not that you ask an unanswerable question, it is that you use English words that don't together make any sense, and that is not something what we call "sensible question". No, it is not in Swahili. But no table a turn hibernates congratulationally, either.

You seem to want to equate nonsensical questions with questions that are hard or impossible to answer.

There is a big difference. A hard or impossible question still can have sense, and it can convey meaning and insight. A nonsensical question, such as yours, is void of insight and has no sense.

This may be ONE thing the moderators are squashing.

I haven't seen a sample of your questions already banned, but if they are equally as nonsensical, then I am not surprized they are banned, and you ought not to be, either.
  • god must be atheist
    Oh, shawn, you're wallows.

If my memory serves me right, you asked a whole bunch of unanswerable existential quesitons relating to psychiatric diseases, that somewhat resembled the following:

"Why not suicide?"
    "Who else around here is depressed?"
    "What to do with ennui?"
    "I can't exist. Solution?"

And the like.

I don't think they are questions a philosopher can answer, be they amateur or professional. They need to be heard by a psychiatrist.
  • Shawn
    Oh, shawn, you're wallows.god must be atheist

Yes, I used to be wallows. It is sad, yes? I feel sorry for Shawn being Wallows, and Wallows being Shawn.
  • leo
    I don't think they are questions a philosopher can answer, be they amateur or professional. They need to be heard by a psychiatrist.god must be atheist

Plenty of people suffering psychologically have been helped more by words than by medication.
  • Michael
    Plenty of people suffering psychologically have been helped more by words than by medication.leo

Psychiatrists offer therapy as well as medication. Either way it's best to seek help from a trained professional, not random losers and one awesome person on the internet.
  • god must be atheist
    one awesome person on the internet.Michael

Jey. That's one awesome stink-bomb if I ever saw any. (-:
  • leo
    Psychiatrists offer therapy as well as medication. Either way it's best to seek help from a trained professional, not random losers and one awesome person on the internet.Michael

And modern psychiatry is based on many beliefs, some of which are false. Philosophy is partly about questioning authorities, yet psychiatry is one authority you guys blindly bow down to and don't like to philosophize about.

Maybe you should philosophize about why you don't want to philosophize about that? And maybe you should philosophize about why you see yourselves as random losers.
  • Shawn

Since, He is an anti-realist, nothing he says should be taken seriously. He can keep His false sense of superiority.
  • Michael
    And modern psychiatry is based on many beliefs, some of which are false. Philosophy is partly about questioning authorities, yet psychiatry is one authority you guys blindly bow down to and don't like to philosophize about.

Maybe you should philosophize about why you don't want to philosophize about that? And maybe you should philosophize about why you see yourselves as random losers.
    leo

Since, He is an anti-realist, nothing he says should be taken seriously. He can keep His false sense of superiority.Shawn

There's no sense of superiority or blindness in saying that mental health issues should be addressed by mental health professionals, not by strangers on a philosophy forum.
  • leo
    There's no sense of superiority or blindness in saying that mental health issues should be addressed by mental health professionals, not by strangers on a philosophy forum.Michael

If you were to encounter someone in mental distress because they are drowning and they don't know how to swim, would you give them a hand, or would you direct them to a mental health professional, because you're a stranger and not a professional and so you can't help them?

Mental health professionals used to see homosexuality as a mental disease that should be treated. But homosexuals weren't suffering because they were homosexuals, they were suffering because of the persecution they endured. Was it the right choice then to direct them to mental health professionals so that they could be cured of their homosexuality? People who didn't see homosexuality as a disease were much more helpful towards homosexuals.

Many people have been worse off after being treated by mental health professionals. Many people have been successfully helped by strangers, or friends, or family. Both can be helpful. Philosophy can be helpful. Exercising can be helpful. All kinds of things can be helpful, mental health professionals do not have all the answers, and they do not always have the right answers.

Refusing to discuss with someone who suffers and only telling them to go see a mental health professional is often unhelpful.
  • Michael
    If you were to encounter someone in mental distress because they are drowning and they don't know how to swim, would you give them a hand, or would you direct them to a mental health professional, because you're a stranger and not a professional and so you can't help them?leo

Helping them out of the water doesn't require expertise in mental health. This is a nonsense analogy.

Many people have been worse off after being treated by mental health professionals. Many people have been successfully helped by strangers, or friends, or family. Both can be helpful. Philosophy can be helpful. Exercising can be helpful. All kinds of things can be helpful, mental health professionals do not have all the answers, and they do not always have the right answers.

Refusing to discuss with someone who suffers and only telling them to go see a mental health professional is often unhelpful.
    leo

That these things can be helpful isn't that we should favour these things over health care professionals. And whether or not these things help will depend significantly on what the mental health problem is. Philosophy and kindness isn't going to help treat the paranoid schizophrenic.

Mental health professionals used to see homosexuality as a mental disease that should be treated. But homosexuals weren't suffering because they were homosexuals, they were suffering because of the persecution they endured. Was it the right choice then to direct them to mental health professionals so that they could be cured of their homosexuality? People who didn't see homosexuality as a disease were much more helpful towards homosexuals.

I'm saying that if someone has a mental health issue then they should seek professional help. If I don't believe that someone has a mental health issue (e.g. if they are homosexual) then I won't suggest that they seek professional help. So unless you want to say that Shawn doesn't really have mental health issues then this is a misdirected defence.

A philosopher can't reason his way into a treatment or cure for mental health issues. That requires training in medicine and psychology. That you think you might know better than them is the real false sense of superiority.
  • Shawn
    There's no sense of superiority or blindness in saying that mental health issues should be addressed by mental health professionals, not by strangers on a philosophy forum.Michael

I don't take you seriously, at all. Keep on trying manus.
  • Shawn
    Just so that were clear, I do have a mental illness. It is almost unbearable to think nowadays. I never imposed it on anyone to solve my issues and never would.

I have a doctor's visit on top of the existing medication I take for my schizophrenia. I hope to one day feel normal. Life has been so cruel to me. :(
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.