• Shawn
    I really like asking questions. I don't really buy into the Western rationale of starting with a conclusion and revealing the rationale there.

I understand that all this requires a small shift in how threads arise and moderated, so I wonder if we can be more open minded towards threads that are devoted to answering questions?
  • Baden
    Here's a moderation philosophy for you: "everything in moderation".
  • Baden
    (The problem is you don't listen to us. At the same time we don't want to ban you. The way that conundrum is eventually dissolved is down to you.)
  • Shawn
    I listen, Baden. And, this thread isn't about me only...(?)
  • unenlightened
    I really like asking questions.Shawn

Why? I wonder if you see a certain safety in asking a question? As if a question cannot be wrong.

I will venture to suggest that not only can a question be wrong, but that a large part of philosophy (but not all) is a matter of showing just how wrong some questions are.
  • Streetlight
    but that a large part of philosophy (but not all) is a matter of showing just how wrong some questions are.unenlightened

:up:
  • Shawn
    I wonder if you see a certain safety in asking a question?unenlightened

Certainly not. Everyone loves certainty and the devil is associated with the question asking as far as I know...

I will venture to suggest that not only can a question be wrong, but that a large part of philosophy (but not all) is a matter of showing just how wrong some questions are.unenlightened

Good old Wittgenstein comes along and upends the entire field of philosophy by asking obscure and incomprehensible questions. Or in other words, there doesn't seem to be some hard limit imposed on the field of philosophy in regards to question asking of a nonsensical order, or not?
  • Shawn

What's the issue here?

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong in asking the wrong questions. After all if nothing stupid was asked, then nothing brilliant would be discovered, or no?
  • unenlightened
    What's the issue here?Shawn

It's your thread, dude; I'm just commenting on what's been said. What you just said that quoted me makes no sense to me. It having a question mark at the end doesn't help.
  • Shawn

Not my problem. I didn't speak in Swahili as far as I'm concerned.
  • unenlightened
    Not my problem.Shawn

Good. Glad to have sort that out.
  • Shawn

Incoherent babble. According to you nothing can get sorted out even if the carrot is right in front of you.
  • Shawn
    "Wrong questions..."

That's rich!
  • unenlightened
    Not my problem. I didn't speak in Swahili as far as I'm concerned.
  • Baden

How about "lazy questions"? Is that less above your pay grade?
  • Shawn

Maybe they make better sense in Swahili, doubtless nothing can be learned from it since we're all Anglo-Saxons hereabouts.
  • Shawn

Just let me point out that if there's nothing wrong with stupid questions, then I don't think there should be anything wrong with a lazy one???
  • unenlightened
    we're all Anglo-Saxons hereabouts.Shawn

Zungumze mwenyewe, mzungu.
  • Shawn

Speak for yourself, white, aimless wanderer?

Yeah, I will memorize that.
  • Hanover
    Just let me point out that if there's nothing wrong with stupid questions, then I don't think there should be anything wrong with a lazy one???Shawn

Since your name change, I'm picking up a defiant vibe. Maybe change your name again and return to the Eeyore thing you had going for a while. It was just as annoying, but the spinelessness kept you out of harm's way.
  • fdrake

Lazy questions are bad posts. People can't engage with them, unless they manage to be stupid at the same time.
  • Shawn

Sorry that I'm not sorry?
  • Shawn

What's a lazy question since it got brought up?
  • DingoJones
    Since your name change, I'm picking up a defiant vibe. Maybe change your name again and return to the Eeyore thing you had going for a while. It was just as annoying, but the spinelessness kept you out of harm's way.Hanover

Wait, who is he?
  • Shawn
    Wait, who is he?DingoJones

A pig.
  • Hanover
    Wallows. As I recall, he was someone before that too. I can't remember all the incarnations.
  • Shawn

Q~uestion->Posty McPostface->Wallows... And, finally my first real name, Shawn.

Sorry for the confusion...
  • Baden
    What's a lazy question since it got brought up?Shawn

That.
  • Shawn

I think the point seems to be more like, what's wrong with asking a lazy question if nobody is omniscient?
  • fdrake
    What's a lazy question since it got brought up?Shawn
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.