• Baden

Begone climate-change-denying Trump sycophant. You are not a serious contributor here.
  • Benkei
    Outdated model. They've been pumping money into the economy for years. It doesn't necessarily mean inflation as people actually started to save more. We've seen deflation and growing GDP in several countries in the last recovery (Switzerland, Spain for instance).

This is explained by the fact that a lot of people have saving goals. With interests too low, they will set aside more money to still reach those goals.
  • praxis
    But interesting that you mention the "deficit" in the same breath while demanding that the government spends money. Cognitive dissonance?Nobeernolife

I only mentioned Trump/Republican policies. Projection?
  • Athena
    Banks in Ireland have agreed to give a three month mortgage holiday and evictions for non-payment of rent have been banned. Do that, U.S.Baden

We should have done that during the housing crisis when bad banking regulations made victims of hard-working citizens. :rage:

I have hope that we will come out of this pandemic a better nation. We might be interring a new age that will better than our past.
  • ssu
    I have hope that we will come out of this pandemic a better nation. We might be interring a new age that will better than our past.Athena
    What we'll learn is finally is to work from home and have net conferences. Talk about a truly collective learning experience.

Just think how many elementary and lower secondary school teachers everywhere have suddenly had to start using the internet to get to their pupils. For higher level education it isn't a great change, for lower levels it is. I have two children with one being a first grader and another a 6th grader and both are now living this eternal Sunday. Both of their class teachers were struggling to get the school work into net, but managed in couple of days to make it work. The frantic improvisation and their joy when getting their pupils online and working makes me smile. Yep, obviously no plans were made for this kind of event by the education system here, hence multitude of approaches by individual schools (which may be actually a good thing). Also, in country where home schooling is very rare, now something new.

The corona-virus is likely the best thing every to happen to the internet companies and service providers. It's so good for them that likely someone will come up with a conspiracy theory that Microsoft and Google were behind the outbreak in China. After all, even after some time has gone, the officials will still say "Use precaution" and "stay at home if you can". So how about that work that you can do from home? Any tin foil hats going with that one?
  • NOS4A2
    Curfews have been ordered in India, Tunisia, Serbia and Jordan. Malaysia Is deploying the military to help restrict movement. California has issued a euphemistic “safer at home” order. The UK has given the police sweeping power to detain people they deem in need of quarantine. Non-essential movement is banned in France. Isreal is tracking cellphones of the infected.

I’m impressed that many governments are imposing these restrictions with regret, but for an indefinite amount of time authoritarianism is the new normal.
  • Athena
    What we'll learn is finally is to work from home and have net conferences. Talk about a truly collective learning experience.

Just think how many elementary and lower secondary school teachers everywhere have suddenly had to start using the internet to get to their pupils. For higher level education it isn't a great change, for lower levels it is. I have two children with one being a first grader and another a 6th grader and both are now living this eternal Sunday. Both of their class teachers were struggling to get the school work into net, but managed in couple of days to make it work. The frantic improvisation and their joy when getting their pupils online and working makes me smile. Yep, obviously no plans were made for this kind of event by the education system here, hence multitude of approaches by individual schools (which may be actually a good thing). Also, in country where home schooling is very rare, now something new.

The corona-virus is likely the best thing every to happen to the internet companies and service providers. It's so good for them that likely someone will come up with a conspiracy theory that Microsoft and Google were behind the outbreak in China. After all, even after some time has gone, the officials will still say "Use precaution" and "stay at home if you can". So how about that work that you can do from home? Any tin foil hats going with that one?
    ssu

I would love to agree with you, but I have some concerns.

On-line school is not working at all for my family. Not all families value education. Not all families understand the importance of self-discipline and setting goals. Plenty of people are totally reactionary and everything revolves around their feelings. These folks can not be the parents children need in today's world. Our children need to be schools where there is a chance of a teacher and peers making a difference. Learning is very much about relationships, not just available facts presented in the right order. To clarify, I am concerned children will be doing as they please at the moment and that will not be studying, and their parents will not be able to get them to study. May parents don't even understand why all that school is necessary any way.

Working at home bites if the children are there. And again working is very much about relationships. I am afraid our technological society lacks awareness of how important our relationships are to being human and everything we do.
  • Hanover
    In what sounds pretty much like a hunch based upon some anecdotal information, Trump is touting hydroxychloroquine as a likely cure for the coronavirus. He is trying to fast track its approval and start curing an ailing world. He was heavily criticized at his news conference as being a bit reckless with advocating unproven treatments and in creating false hope.

Suppose it works? Will he not be a great savior? Will all the Trump naysayers do an about face?
  • ssu
    I am afraid our technological society lacks awareness of how important our relationships are to being human and everything we do.Athena
    Well, this is the perfect time when people can see that. And as I said, it's this obligatory introduction to home schooling. That needs a lot of effort from the parents.

After this 'ordeal' nobody can hype the benefits of working from home as earlier as nearly everybody has now experienced this. They will see the pros and cons and what is possible and what isn't. Above all, soon people will realize what this kind of shutdown means when 80% of the GDP of the US is made of the service sector and that the vast majority of employment is in the service sector. Now, a vast portion of it is simply shut down.

employment-by-economic-sector-5f5f87451a15ab595872eab6b0c01a22_v2_850x600.svg

You are looking at an economic depression likely worse than during the last financial crisis.
  • Michael

Classy.
  • frank
    Suppose it works? Will he not be a great savior? Will all the Trump naysayers do an about face?Hanover

Testing any kind of treatment takes time. Patients have to be enrolled and data has to be collected. The reason we do it that way is that if the drug turns out to kill more people than it helps, we'll know that by exposing a small number of patients to it instead of the whole damn population. The government can fast-track FDA approval. It can't fast-track a study.

If it turns out that this is a wonder drug for this particular ailment, great. Wonderful. But right now, we need to be preparing for a wave of sick people. We'll be treating them according to standards already established so that we first do no harm and all that shit.
  • frank
    He's totally unequipped to be a leader.
  • Michael
    He's totally unequipped to be a leader.frank

He called the State Department the Deep State Department.
  • frank
    Can somebody just stick a screwdriver in his eye?
  • Michael
    Suppose it works? Will he not be a great savior? Will all the Trump naysayers do an about face?Hanover

If his decision is based on solid evidence and advice from the experts then sure. If it's just a "hunch based upon some anecdotal information" and he got lucky then no. That's a dangerous way to respond to a pandemic even if it does pay off this one time.
  • Echarmion

Is that a sociological question? If so, I'd say no. Rejection of Trump isn't based primarily on single decisions. As you have already analysed, it's easy to see this as a risky gamble that, given your scenario, just happened to work.

Might easily be enough to win the election though.
  • Baden

No, because if it doesn't work, he'll say he thought it was a bunch of baloney the whole time and Nobrainnolife and NOS will tell you it's FAKE NEWS! if you say otherwise.

But I hope it does work, obviously, and who cares if Trump tries to take the credit.
  • Michael
    All the UK's nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres have also been told to close "as soon as they reasonably can".

I just signed up to a new gym half an hour ago cause they said they were still open. :confused:
  • Baden

UK are slow learners.
  • Hanover
    I just signed up to a new gym half an hour ago cause they said they were still open. :confused:Michael

Both my gyms closed. The guy said he'd open up on Saturday mornings for me and another guy for private training. I've been taking kick boxing lessons so that I can fight off the zombies.
  • Punshhh
    You can do all the exercises at home anyway. With a bicycle inner tube, a door frame and a hammer.
  • Hanover
    As you have already analysed, it's easy to see this as a risky gamble that, given your scenario, just happened to work.Echarmion

It might be politically risky, but the drug is fairly safe.
  • Hanover
    That's a dangerous way to respond to a pandemic even if it does pay off this one time.Michael

How's it dangerous? It was either nothing or the malaria drug.
  • Relativist
    That's a dangerous way to respond to a pandemic even if it does pay off this one time. — Michael

How's it dangerous? It was either nothing or the malaria drug.
    Hanover

Virus drug touted by President Trump, Elon Musk can kill with just two gram dose
  • Echarmion
    It might be politically risky, but the drug is fairly safe.Hanover

I have no idea how safe it is, or what the opportunity costs of attempting this treatment might be. And of course if subsequent information makes this seem like a well informed bold decision, instead of a gamble, it'll be perceived differently and convince more people.

But just success will not be enough to convince a lot of "naysayers".
  • Hanover
    I agreed with Trump's response.

The questioning from the reporter related to using the malaria drug as a treatment, and he asked "Is it possible that your impulse to put a positive spin on things may be giving Americans a false sense of hope." This is a worldview distinction you don't appreciate. There is no such thing as false hope. There's this pervasive idea that pessimism is of some value, as if it's related to truth, and even worse that it doesn't create reality. I'm not suggesting that you should jump off a ledge if you're optimistic enough to think you'll fly, but I am saying that as long as Trump continues to ask Americans to take all reasonable precautions (which he has been), then one ought be optimistic.
  • Hanover
    Virus drug touted by President Trump, Elon Musk can kill with just two gram doseRelativist

Chloroquine isn't actually a viral drug as the article represents, but it's an anti-malaria drug. Regardless, the article is providing some fairly irrelevant toxicity data, suggesting the drug is unsafe. A gallon of vodka will kill a horse, which means neither you nor your horse should drink that much vodka.

The recommended dose of chloroquine for an adult is a single 500 mg dose per week. If someone wants to gulp down 2 grams (400% the recommended dose) and see what happens, I'm wondering why. I also wonder why they printed that article other than to suggest the drug is dangerous when it isn't.
  • frank
    Corticosteroids are very helpful drugs. Coronavirus symptoms are a match for what we usually give them for. But doctors who give corticosteroids for coronavirus will make their patients more likely to need mechanical ventilation, pressor drugs, and kidney function support.

Keep your day job, man.
  • Baden

Apparently, it was originally China's idea. See @Relativist's post above.

"China, where the deadly pathogen first emerged in December, recommended the decades-old malaria drug chloroquine to treat infected patients in guidelines issued in February after seeing encouraging results in clinical trials. But within days, it cautioned doctors and health officials about the drug’s lethal side effects and rolled back its usage."

Trump is a clueless child and should probably just shut up and leave this to the adults.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.