• ssu
    Bernie still running?

With winning "the Abroad" vote?
  • fishfry
    This from a guy who continues to defend a stupid, stupid statement out of embarrassment. Forgive me if I don't care.Xtrix

Just wanted to keep you abreast of the latest Hillary speculation. Micheal Goodwin of the NY Post notes that Democrats need to recruit Obama to bench Biden, find another candidate. He suggests Cuomo, Pelosi (??) and She Who Must Not Be Indicted herself.

And there is always Hillary Clinton. Insiders say she hasn’t given up despite being a two-time loser, and a rematch of 2016 would galvanize the nation. Her Trump grudge would be the only rationale she would need and might give Dems the turnout they would need.

So you all-in for Biden or what? Taking a poll of my liberal friends.

And to keep this on topic, I noticed that this is a thread about Bernie. He voted for the bailout. How do you Bernie fans feel about that? Talks the talk but he's never to be found when it's time to walk the walk.
  • Maw
    Just wanted to keep you abreast of the latest Hillary speculation. Micheal Goodwin of the NY Post notes that Democrats need to recruit Obama to bench Biden, find another candidate. He suggests Cuomo, Pelosi (??) and She Who Must Not Be Indicted herself.fishfry

You made a similar comment early this month referencing an article also written by Michael Goodwin about a speculative Hillary win.

Someone please pay me money to write the same dumb article twice a month.
  • fishfry
    You made a similar comment early this month referencing an article also written by Michael Goodwin about a speculative Hillary win.Maw

Thank you for keeping track so assiduously.

So may I ask you: How do you feel about Biden these days? Think he's the Trump slayer?
  • Maw
    Thank you for keeping track so assiduously.fishfry

You're welcome, it's not hard to keep track of things that happened several weeks ago - I'm sorry if you somehow face that difficulty.

So may I ask you: How do you feel about Biden these days? Think he's the Trump slayer?fishfry

No he sucks
  • fishfry
    No he sucksMaw

Ok. So do you think it's reasonable to speculate that the Dems might try to replace him? And that if that were to happen, that She Who Must Not Be Indicted is one of the names that would naturally come up? Or is Michael Goodwin simply trafficking in idle speculation with no basis in reality, in addition to lazily writing about it twice?

↪fishfry Fuck it, why not?

#Reptile2020
    VagabondSpectre

??? LOL
  • VagabondSpectre
    Oops, meant to type "Hillary" ;)
  • fishfry
    Oops, meant to type "Hillary" ;)VagabondSpectre

She is a bit reptilian, don't you think?
  • Echarmion
    Ok. So do you think it's reasonable to speculate that the Dems might try to replace him? Or is Michael Goodwin simply trafficking in idle speculation with no basis in reality?fishfry

Why would either the DNC establishment or the registered voters want to replace the guy they just build up? Has anything dramatic changed about his viability as a candidate?
  • Mikie
    Ok. So do you think it's reasonable to speculate that the Dems might try to replace him?fishfry

Just give it up man, for the love of God. There's no chance in hell this happens. None. Zero. That some "speculate" about it to rile people up, create buzz, and broaden readership is completely irrelevant to any thinking adult. Was Sandyhook a "false flag"? I could cite Alex Jones and several articles about it. I guess that makes it plausible, in your world, and totally worth entertaining? If you think so, please remove yourself from the adult table and go have fun "speculating" about anything you want.

So you all-in for Biden or what? Taking a poll of my liberal friends.fishfry

I'm not liberal and I'm not your friend.

Nor am I "all in" for Biden. I've never liked Biden as a candidate. Will I vote for him over Trump? Of course I will. That decision should take about 3 minutes to make.
  • Maw
    Ok. So do you think it's reasonable to speculate that the Dems might try to replace him? And that if that were to happen, that She Who Must Not Be Indicted is one of the names that would naturally come up? Or is Michael Goodwin simply trafficking in idle speculation with no basis in reality, in addition to lazily writing about it twice?fishfry

It's fine to speculate but it's based on little more than op-ed contributors simply trying to churn out articles.
  • fishfry
    Why would either the DNC establishment or the registered voters want to replace the guy they just build up? Has anything dramatic changed about his viability as a candidate?Echarmion

Gradually changing for the worse by the day over the past several months. A cruel charade. The Dems are in such deep denial it's something to behold.
  • fishfry
    Just give it up man, for the love of God. There's no chance in hell this happens. None. Zero. That some "speculate" about it to rile people up, create buzz, and broaden readership is completely irrelevant to any thinking adult.Xtrix

You'd be factually wrong about that. Here are the latest betting odds on the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination. These odds reflect beliefs that people are willing to wager money on. As of 3/30 they are: Biden 83.4, Cuomo 6.9, Clinton 5.9, Sanders 5.5.

And Biden's continued to stumble badly in every podcast and every tv interview every day for a week now. His unsuitability as a presidential candidate is impossible to ignore. Surely you are not going to deny this.

Was Sandyhook a "false flag"? I could cite Alex Jones and several articles about it. I guess that makes it plausible, in your world, and totally worth entertaining?Xtrix

That's a bit of a strawman argument, isn't it? How does one relate to the other? When the government tells you the North Vietnamese attacked us at the Gulf of Tonkin, or that Saddam has WMDs, are you one of those people who wave the flag for war without a moment's thought? You never question what you're told? Ever?

I'm curious, do you even read much political commentary? I agree Hillary's not getting much buzz lately but Cuomo's name keeps coming up. Just yesterday he officially denied he's running for president, saying, "This is no time for politics." Exactly what a politician would say, don't you agree?

Are you completely unaware of all of this that I'm talking about?

I'm not liberalXtrix

What's your political orientation? Curious to know.

and I'm not your friend.Xtrix

You'd be lost without me.

Nor am I "all in" for Biden. I've never liked Biden as a candidate. Will I vote for him over Trump? Of course I will. That decision should take about 3 minutes to make.Xtrix

That's why they hold elections.
  • fishfry
    It's fine to speculate but it's based on little more than op-ed contributors simply trying to churn out articles.Maw

So when Cuomo was asked by his brother, on tv, whether he's running for president, that was not actual news? They just made it up?

Do you think that Biden's weakness and apparent cognitive issues on display in every one of his public appearances in the past week are just clickbait? That his mind is sound as a dollar? Well actually now that you mention it ... Biden's mind IS about as sound as a dollar.

I mean seriously, you haven't heard anything about speculations about Biden not getting the nomination. You've heard nothing. Is this now the claim of at least two people on this board? Why are you even bothering to talk politics?

I'm serious about this. I consume news from a lot of sources and I see this speculation all over the place. When I tossed off my line about Hillary the other day I had no idea it would trigger anyone. It's commonplace political speculation; as is Biden's weakness as a candidate.
  • Mikie
    Was Sandyhook a "false flag"? I could cite Alex Jones and several articles about it. I guess that makes it plausible, in your world, and totally worth entertaining?
    — Xtrix

That's a bit of a strawman argument, isn't it?
    fishfry

No.

How does one relate to the other?fishfry

Because not only is there no evidence, it fails at being even interesting speculation. That's how it relates.

When the government tells you the North Vietnamese attacked us at the Gulf of Tonkin, or that Saddam has WMDs, are you one of those people who wave the flag for war without a moment's thought? You never question what you're told? Ever?fishfry

Yes, questioning the motives and pretexts of government foreign policy, formulating alternative narratives, and (most importantly) relying on experts and the documentary record to support these narratives is important.

So far you've cited NY Post speculations and betting odds for a stupid, stupid idea. What's more embarrassing is that you continue on in your quest to make it look less stupid. But this isn't Fox News, and cheap spin doesn't work.

There's no way Hillary Clinton will be the democratic nominee. Ever. Put your money on it if you want. I'll gladly lay the odds.

I'm curious, do you even read much political commentary? I agree Hillary's not getting much buzz lately but Cuomo's name keeps coming up. Just yesterday he officially denied he's running for president, saying, "This is no time for politics." Exactly what a politician would say, don't you agree?

Are you completely unaware of all of this that I'm talking about?
    fishfry

Right, because you've proven yourself such a very widely-read, credible source of news, you feel perfectly entitled to ask me that question.

I suppose you take seriously the "perfectly reasonable" speculation that Cuomo will jump in and be the nominee too, eh? I've got a better one: I have reason to believe, based on what "many people are saying," that Fauci will try his hand at the democratic nomination. People are saying it, so it must be credible and worth discussing. Haven't heard anything about it? Probably because you don't follow the news -- or at least aren't as well-read as I am. Pity.

I guess I'm ultimately the fool for wasting time responding to you.
  • Maw
    Do you think that Biden's weakness and apparent cognitive issues on display in every one of his public appearances in the past week are just clickbait? That his mind is sound as a dollar?fishfry

This is not the same as the idea that Hillary Clinton is likely to be the Democratic nominee
  • Baden
    Why did Bernie sell out on the corporate bonanza bill? Anyone?
  • Mikie
    Why did Bernie sell out on the corporate bonanza bill? Anyone?Baden

You may have noticed we're in the middle of a pandemic. Bernie is principled, but also pragmatic. This bill was by no means perfect, and he spoke out against the parts he abhorred, but something needed to be done -- and quickly.

To describe this as "selling out" may sound great in conservative media (or even liberal media), but it's a complete joke. Just think about it a minute.
  • Baden

"What we need is a revolution pragmatism."

I'm still digging into the bill. But I really don't like what I see.
  • Mikie
    "What we need is a revolution pragmatism."

I'm still digging into the bill. But I really don't like what I see.
    Baden

Neither did Bernie, I'm sure. You're missing the point.

A "no" vote would have demonstrated a "revolution" in your mind eh?
  • Baden

I'll give you a concrete example. My sister and her husband are looking at probably three months of lockdown or semi-lockdown and no work. They live in LA. Their rent is 3 grand, close to a grand for health, and another 2 for bills and food. Let's say 6 grand a month. How long do you think 1200 bucks each is going to last?

In contrast, a treasure trove of $500 billion has been opened for big corporations to dig into.

The bill is shit.

A "no" vote would have demonstrated a "revolution" in your mind eh?Xtrix

A "no" vote would have been in keeping with everything he says he stands for. A "yes" vote looks like capitulation.
  • Baden
    In Ireland by the way, anyone made unemployed by the pandemic is being given 5 grand over 12 weeks. No corporate pork attached.
  • Artemis
    Why did Bernie sell out on the corporate bonanza bill? Anyone?Baden

I think he thought he didn't have much of a choice.
    Plus, he voted for the version with the oversight committee, a clause Trump just conveniently decided to veto upon signing the thing.
  • Baden

Of course he had a choice.
  • Baden
    You have to be willing to slay your political Gods when they make a bad decision, folks.
  • Artemis

Depends what you mean by choice. I mean that I don't think he thought he could get the American people to understand why he would vote against them getting money.
  • Baden

That's plausible. But he could have said:

In Ireland by the way, anyone made unemployed by the pandemic is being given 5 grand over 12 weeks. No corporate pork attached.Baden

"And you should get the same."
  • Artemis
    slay your political GodsBaden

When I disagree with about 1% of what a politician does, I usually just leave it at disagreeing. I save my God-slaying days for the really bad ones.
  • Baden

It's a little hyperbolic, but I take the attitude that you criticize decisions based on their content not who makes them. The bill is shit. Everyone who voted for it is responsible.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.