• abcd
    Hi. I was reading books about ancient Greece or translations of original sources when I came across sentences like these: How deep is the water? [Step in and] it would show you.
    That is my paraphrase, but I don’t think I stray from the original text too much. Now let me give you the context: two men are about to cross a river. One man asks the other: “How deep is the water?” The other replied, “[Step in and] it would show you.” This is some ancient saying, meaning personal experience/practice’s very important. Now I don’t remember where they come from. Could anybody give me the source of this saying? Thank you.
    Please don’t delete this post because this is not just a help-me post. I’ll discuss this quote with others after I locate it.
  • Hanover
    I ran a Google search and it returned this post, so it looks like you said it. Now we can discuss it
  • 3017amen

This is a long shot and perhaps a little bit different than in your context, but Heraclitus might be a possible source.

Heraclitus’ vision of life is clear in his epigram about changing, using a metaphorical river of flux:

‘We both step and do not step in the same rivers. We are and are not’ .

One interpretation of that passage is that Heraclitus is saying we can’t step into the same river twice. This is because the river is constantly changing.The river changes and so do you. Putting your foot in the river at the same place over and over would be different water each time.

Life is in a constant flux or change of flow much like the metaphorical River... .
  • god must be atheist
    I think the ancient Greek saying went something to this:

One that hailed from the Parnassus asked:
    "How deep is your love?"
    The other, standing on an alabaster statue, replied:
    "Night fever, night fever...you don't have to do it!"
  • 3017amen

Hahaha, no. I think it went something like this:

In Tony's New York accent, while in the car with the girl he loved (one of many): " Don't worry 'bout nuttin."
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.