• Gregory
    In speaking of "the understanding [modifying the projection] self-projection of Being (you) upon a potentiality-for-being toward a possibility to be", Heidegger writes, "The potentiality-for-being for the sake of which Being is, has the mode of being OF being-in-the-world. Accordingly, the relation to innerworldly beings liesin it ontologically."

Seeing how religious folk blame weird things in the world (alien accounts, Quantum Eraser experiments, ect) on the devil (and on sin) (anything irrational must be, for them) and claim that the only real miracles are their's, we non-believers look at the world wondering if ithas to be logical. Can the universe itself be relative, I wonder. It seems things work rationally in the world when we are acting and thinking rationally. I wonder if this is a sort of compatabilism with the universe, and whether the tie between what makes sense and what doesn't is a relation..
  • RegularGuy
    I wouldn’t lump all religious folk together as all being “superstitious”. What you say makes sense to me and fits in perfectly well with everything I’ve studied about the world’s religions.
  • RegularGuy
    Though with my so-called illness I do sometimes appear to at times take certain things literally. The point is that certain religious tenets can be lived in an either-or way as long as your heart is in the right place. For example, take Christ. One can believe that Christ was literally God come to Earth to share in the humanity that He loves, or one can take it as a beautiful story of how a proverbial God humbled himself to experience life as a human to show us the right way to live, believing it to be merely a nice story. If you live by the Golden Rule and Christ’s law to ask for forgiveness of those you’ve wronged and to forgive your enemies even more readily (lofty morals I at least think), then it doesn’t matter if you believe the story as literal truth or allegorical.
  • christian2017

The problem is there are 100s of particles smaller than the ones found currently. What science understands now will change in 100 years. Many ethnic groups that have a strong sense of community tend to be dumber but at the same time these ethnic groups are happier and less likely to commit suicide. Their strong sense of community makes them dumber but also gives them the will to live. Many religious concepts and traditions prolong life and instill a sense of community. In 100 years many of our current scientists will look like idiots. Quantum Mechanics has different interpretations and many scientists are wrong in their assertation that it means that truth is relative.
  • Gregory
    I have a so-called illess: schizoaffective. I do manual labor for a living. I do love to read philosophy on my spare time and l do sound authoritative in my posts sometimes, although I didn't even finish my assocoates, but that is just me pressing a point. Heidegger says potentiality-for-being is its end result, i.e. being. And this because of the "disclosedness of the for-the-sake-of-which in general (being-ahead-of-oneself". Ancients called it fate.
  • RegularGuy
    Welcome, brother. Me too, although I’m not functional enough most days to work. My parents have said that some days you wouldn’t know that I’m ill, but on other days you’d better tread carefully. I wish I had the drive to work.
  • Gregory
    When we understand something, the object is "projected upon its possibilities". That's what Heidegger says. "The world is the wherein of already-being". In other cultures mentally ill people are deemed holy. They are expected to give a blessing back. I put away and coordinate what to order from our trucking team at a local McDonalds.
  • RegularGuy
    I put away and coordinate what to order from our trucking team at a local McDonalds.Gregory

I don’t know what you mean by this.
  • Gregory
    Im the truck guy at a fast food joint. The guys and girls who take orders and make food don't have it easier. I don't know how to compare that kind of work to like my lawyer cousin, for example. I think about it sometimes
  • Gregory
    I also wonder if doing philosophy is really a more brainy activity than say being really good at video games
  • RegularGuy
    I also wonder if doing philosophy is really a more brainy activity than say being really good at video gamesGregory

A good philosophy is better for your soul (whether proverbial or literal) than video games.
  • RegularGuy
    A bad philosophy, though? Better to play video games.
  • RegularGuy
    I don't know how to compare that kind of work to like my lawyer cousin, for example.Gregory

I dropped out of law school second semester. I had a nervous breakdown, and I haven’t really fully recovered. I think some lawyers are ethical, moral, and just; and others are truly reprehensible creatures. I don’t think it’s so much what kind of job you have or don’t have, but rather how you behave that matters. This is something I just recently discovered.
  • Gregory
    The two great laws are the Golden Rule and Do what Thou wilt. I don't even think Nietzsche himself would have approved of Americanism, where IQ tests prove who is smartest. In Descartes's days and after it was believed commonly that everyone had their own smarts. The only dunces were the ones who violated moral rules.
  • Gregory
    I sometimes wonder what kind of job being a priest is. They get into questions like whether it's wrong to test yourself with temptation. If philosophy makes it easier to be good, playing video games gives you a harder temptation. You're unprepared.
  • RegularGuy
    Yeah, I don’t know. I probably spend way too much time focusing on a certain interest for hours a day while neglecting other things. I have never been good at balance.
  • Gregory

Life is a destination, not a depot.
  • Gregory
    Pascal's Wager is intellectual trolling. People try to take something away from others by an illegal logical move folks. Plain and simple
  • RegularGuy
    To each his own. Not sure if I offended you, but I won’t judge you because I know how our minds can play tricks on us.
  • Nils Loc
    I live in a reality where we spell zanny with one z turned on its side, unless zanny is slang. All this time I thought it was spelled with two side-turned z's and the dictionary says otherwise. I think I've entered another dimension.
  • Gregory

No way offended. Sometimes the mind can say "you can do this" but the will really cannot. Sometimes the will says "I can't do this" but the reason knows it can. To each his own compass
  • RegularGuy
    No way offended. Sometimes the mind can say "you can do this" but the will really cannot. Sometimes the will says "I can't do this" but the reason knows it can. To each his own compassGregory

Very well. I will chalk that up to your diagnosis, and I won’t take your judgment personally because I know you have an inferiority complex about my so-called accomplishments, even though it would seem rather ugly to try to sound superior. I know you want recognition for your heroics. I salute you.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.