• BitconnectCarlos
    How good of a sense does everyone have over what "the good life" means? Is it more of a universal thing or more particular to the traits, talents and nature of an individual? This is a thread to discuss various views of "happiness" or the good life whether it be eudamonia (of which there are many versions of) or maybe a buddhist or other religious/philosophical idea of the concept.

To get the ball rolling, I'm personally more partial to the idea that it boils down more to the individual nature and traits of the individual and using those to achieve some sort of mastery. I'm not willing to uncritically take someone's word on what their own version of the good life means. Feel free to question me or prove me wrong I'm not willing to defend this idea to the death.

What do you all think constitutes "the good life?"
  • Pfhorrest
    There are some features that I think are universals of a good life: learning, teaching, loving, and being loved. But there is perhaps infinite variety in the kinds of things one enjoys to learn and to teach, and the ways that one likes to love and to be loved.
  • Shawn
    What do you all think constitutes "the good life?"BitconnectCarlos

A good life seems to me to be one where a person:

1. Minimizes his or her own suffering or sadness, along with other people.
    2. Maximizes the good and happy times.
    3. Promotes what is good.
    4. Desires what is good.
  • 180 Proof
    I can't say what 'the good life' is but I can't conceive of it not including

amor dei intellectualis deus, sive natura
    ataraxia
    aponia
    apatheia
    (i.e. amor fati)
    solitaire et solidaire (i.e. non serviam)

& getting one's kicks.

:death: :flower:
  • BitconnectCarlos

I can get on board with this. I do believe love is humanity's highest aim and I do hold learning and teaching in high regard and I can see them as reasonable universals. If you really love a trade or a craft or a subject it makes sense to teach & learn the transfer it and keep it alive.

I do wonder though if a certain craft or activity could be a waste of time though even if it is truly loved. I wonder if humanity's actualization could be better described as a attaining a goal or more like a habit/a way of living.

I'll need to look up these words and I don't mean to be insulting but I don't why you needed to write in latin or greek. I could write in Russian but I wouldn't.
  • 180 Proof
    ↪180 Proof

I'll need to look up these words and I don't mean to be insulting but I don't why you needed to write in latin or greek. I could write in Russian but I wouldn't.
    BitconnectCarlos
    Not to show off (really) but only to acknowledge the antiquity of my answers to an antique question. Spinoza (Maimonides, Ibn Rushd, et al), Epicurus-Pyrrho-Zeno, Camus, "Jeremiah" (Latin Vulgate) ... in translation they lose something. Anyway, Russian won't put me off if its usage is relevant. Looking up untranslated terms, I've found, tends to open doors mistaken for walls.
  • Frank Apisa
    As I see it, "The Good Life" mostly centers around self-contentment.

That is obtained in many ways...some of which have been mentioned in the preceding comments.

I suspect most people are more self-centered than is commonly accepted...leading lives built around what "makes their day"...or "getting their kicks."

People like Mother Teresa and Albert Schweitzer merely had a different idea of what that meant...from people like Mick Jagger or Ted Bundy.

In the end...the good life involves some form of self-gratification.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.