• RegularGuy
    It has recently occurred to me that the distribution of resources in the world as we currently find it with the current world population cannot function without some kind of hierarchy. There necessarily has to be more for some than others, including the number and variety of opportunities one gets in life. The world GDP is I think around $80 trillion. That’s about $10,000 for each man, woman, and child. If it were distributed equally, then civilization would collapse. There would be no incentive to solve problems anymore, as there would be perceived injustice by billions of people who feel they are deserving of more than others (rightly or wrongly). It’s just the nature of the beast (humans).

In order for there to be progress, there must be some inequality. Maybe not to the degree we find it today in the US and many other countries, but what am I complaining about? I have empathy for those who have nothing, but am I so egomaniacal to think that the government cares what I think? This is not and never was a democracy. My vote counts to a degree, to about the same degree that a butterfly causes hurricanes. Furthermore, and here’s the real kicker, if I become too uppity, the government is just as likely to take what I have as to leave me alone. They certainly aren’t going to finally get their shit together and start actually caring about people beyond their lip service to the working class, the poor, the minorities, etc.

It’s not my place to say what I should get. Beggars can’t be choosers. I should know my place and be grateful for what I’ve got.
  • Nils Loc
    The amount of energy spent in the way of living our mundane lives is absurd.

To be productive, and therefore turn the economic wheel, requires a huge and unsustainable energy expense, most often to satisfy superfluous wants, but we all know this.
  • Shawn
    It’s not my place to say what I should get. Beggars can’t be choosers. I should know my place and be grateful for what I’ve got.Noah Te Stroete

:halo:
  • Brett

The amount of energy spent in the way of living our mundane lives is absurd.Nils Loc

Very interesting point. Looking back on things I’m shocked with what it’s taken to get where I am.
  • Shawn

I don't hold such a libertarian view on the matter. It seems to me, that life happens, and we get along with it?
  • Brett

That’s interesting. I guess we can acquiesce to what happens or try to have an effect.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.