• RegularGuy
    In the Ancient Greek theater, the hypocrites were literally the actors on stage wearing masks. This is where the term “hypocrite” comes from, and this is how the term was used in The New Testament.

The Lord told fathers not to be hypocrites (act differently in public and at church than they do at home—that’s to say, “to put on a mask”), so that their children wouldn’t be turned away from The Word.

Why do we all put on a public mask? Shouldn’t Christians be open about their sins at church? Or at work? Or anywhere? Do they fear public opinion more than they fear their God?

Jesus taught the Golden Rule and forgiveness. These are the two MAIN bullet points from his ministry. Everything else is supporting material.

If Christians are taught to love their enemies and to love sinners, then why are they so ashamed to be seen for who they really are? They are sinners. They are not entitled to anything, let alone good public opinion. (The prosperity gospel is clearly heresy.)

We all know that Jerry Falwell was a bastard. We all know that Franklin Graham is an asshole. Do they really think (or thought) that they were somehow exempt from Christ’s commandments? To love and to forgive? Yes, they are (were) hypocrites.

Let me be the first here to air my sins. I’m guilty of all seven of the deadly kind, some to extremes at times. If you want to know more about them, then feel free to read through my OPs and comments. I am who I really say I am. I’m basically a prick, especially to the hypocrites.

But...if Jesus is real (I believe so, but I don’t expect to convert anyone; and I don’t condemn anyone to an eternity in hellfire, a concept that is really more of a creation of the Church than it is a required tenet of Christian faith), then don’t you think that He would want us to be open about our sins? Who do Christians think they are hiding it from? Are they more afraid of the court of public opinion than they are of the highest court in existence? How can they truly love others for who they truly are when they give false witness, and how can they expect others to love them for who they truly are if they are continually giving false witness?

Seems that it might just be baked into the cake, though (human nature and all?). Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why we need a Savior.

For the atheists, this sounds like a lot of religious nonsense I’m sure. Believe me, I’m aware of this.

It doesn’t bother me if you don’t believe in God. My fifteen year old son is an atheist. I was an atheist for many years. I’m not trying to convert anyone. Believe in God, don’t believe in God, it’s your choice. I’m not an evangelist. Everyone is fully aware that there was someone named “Jesus”, and they are all free to look into his message for themselves. They are also free not to, and I can’t say that I blame them given the example that most Christians have given us throughout history.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.